Hi Stan, that's what i was thinking before, when assembling the engine for the first time. The markings on the sprocket from both camshafts didn't line up like on the picture in the book. So i was thinking, well i take the intake cam and position the marking closer to the head surface, and so it took place.
I will re-post photos of mine. As you can see, they were also not perfectly aligned, and I was panicking just a bit. At the time I was assured by many people that they have the same or similar arrangement and the bikes runs great. The one important thing is to keep the link count - and you have it right.
The link count is from the exhaust side. In my case the dot didn't want to align perfectly, so I chose it to be above the edge rather than below - to balance position of the dots on the intake side. Choosing below the edge would bring the markings on the intake too far from the edge. I think in your case it is quite further from the edge than mine. Maybe it will look fine when moving it, and that would also bring the markings on the intake side higher, closer to the edge. As far as know, these markings never match perfectly as written in the book. And yes, the chain length question.
The blade is sitting flat on the case.
1982 Kawasaki KZ1300 A4
Building an engine from random parts. This will eventually morph into building a bike from random parts - if it ever happens. Need a frame to begin with.
And as Stan has pointed out.......my cam alignment marks are not a perfect "Manual" match, either. Never have been.
Chain-stretch causing the issue of fuel stand-off - - I highly doubt it.
The problem of fuel stand-off is well known and from the reading I've done, the only cure is to deal with the cams, themselves. There in lies the problem - What profile and duration. For the 1300 it would be strictly gue$$ work unless you're buddies with someone in the R&D department of a carb/manifold manufacturer. and I highly doubt that, too.
You may get some benefit from creating velocity stacks but you'll need 6 individual ones, the length and configuration being determined by the restrictions imposed by the frame, among other things ......and your imagination.
You are not the ONLY one with a big bore kit on a 1300 but apparently you ARE the ONLY one with this problem
1980 KZ 1300 sr# KZT30A-009997
Always High - Know Fear !
I have cruzin image 1370 kit on mine and am having difficulty setting up the carbs. I have done the choke mode with 2.3mm (I think) jets. I have replaced my 6 main jets with new genuine Mikuni ones. I have 6 colourtune plugs which all richen up to yellow and then I turn them back to blue flame. I have gauge and digital manometers and both read as well balanced as I can get them.
Carbs have all been cleaned with Scotch's cleaning tool
I think my problem is plugs are fouling and causing cylinders to drop out. I need more time to investigate the issue though - I just don't get enough
1980 KZ1300 B2 Touring/A2
The following user(s) said Thank You: scotch, Daro
I don't have big bore kit installed on my bike, infact the pistons are still 62mm with new rings and I'm getting 9,5-10 bar compression on all cylinders when warm. After reading a bit I thing too that the cams play key role in creating fuelstandoff. Also I know that the cams can never be set to perfect match of the markings in relation to the cylinder head, exacly because of that you could set them wrong one tooth. I'm changing that as we speak to see what effect it will make.
So i just tested the bike with cams advanced one tooth. Here are the pictures.
Intake cam with new position
Exhaust cam also with new position
And finally 17 links
These are the spark plugs before the change
And the air filter soak with fuel from the fuel standoff
The bike started normally when cold but the fast idle seems to be waaay to high now, quarter throttle ride on 1-st and 2-nt gear, not much difference but 4-th and 5-th gear from 3000 rpm towards the red line (i stop on 180 kmh Gps) on sudden WOT delivers totally different engine and lambda value behavior.
So this dramatic fuel standoff was caused by wrong setup of the camshafts in relation to the crankshaft, because the dots on the sprockets in my opinion are not well placed or something like that. Interesting tho on the picture of Stan's exhaust camshaft the dot seems to be where my one was before the correction. I thank every one, i could not done this without you help. I'm going to take the next video when i sort out some other camera and than post here to update.
Thanks again ya all great !!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: scotch, StanG