TOPIC:

Air Box Modification 10 years 2 months ago #1863

• zed_thirteen
  • zed_thirteen's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 137
Hi Guys,

I have always been frustrated when trying to get the front upper air box installed on the back of the carbs. It's so tight to get in and the rubber inlet boots always end up folding inwards instead wrapping around the outside of the intakes.

I did once see a fully CNC machined air-box on evilBay but it cost megabucks just for the product and even hundreds of dollars to ship overseas.

It did inspire me to try and come up with a cheaper alternative and I've come up with this:

(The top plate is actually the wrong way around in that picture - the long gasket edge goes to the front of the bike)

Until I get one made up I won't know if I there is room for four 50mm cone air filters and still be able to use the original air box covers. I might have to reduce it to three 50mm cone filters.

The air filter plate will need to be CNC machined from 6mm aluminium. The filter tubes are just 50mm ally pipe (2mm wall) which will need to be TIG welded in. (I can't do either of these processes) the bottom bracket can probably be made from 2mm ally plate (I can probably do this).

What do you guys reckon? I'm probably going to mock one up out of MDF to see if I can get 4 filters and still use the original covers. After that I will make adjustments to the design and probably get a single unit made and ask for price per small quantities.

So, Do you want one. What would you pay for the unit and what would you pay for shipping etc.

David
1980 KZ1300 B2 Touring/A2
1990 ZZ-R1100 C1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Air Box Modification 10 years 2 months ago #1866

• Mikez
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 14
Pete's actually done something very similar with his airbox and this was touched up on in his topic :). You should check it out!

www.kz1300.com/index.php/forum/engines/7...rhaul-z1300?start=24

If you can cheaply manufacture the plate with included filters I'd totally buy one from you lol. I would say it would be worth 50-100 bucks to me :)

Air Box Modification 10 years 2 months ago #1869

• Toddh
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 65
If you want to keep that upper airbox plenum in place what helps with the grommets is die-electric gel or Vaseline. You don't need much. I also lube the bottom flat gasket to help keep it in place.

Another item to pay attention to is where the whole rear portion of the plenum is resting. If it's too far forward, it will not leave enough room for the forward upper box. Keeping the airbox all the way to the rear, or loosening up the mnt bolts a bit will give you enough room, so you don't have to roll those air horn grommets.

Also look out for the main vacuum line feeding the clean air system. That hose has broken many a airbox cover grommet. It helps to keep that heavy hose out of the way.

As you work the airbox in, one tool that helps with this task is a flat long pry bar. It provides some extra leverage, as long as you don't pry too hard. Make sure you do this while the airbox is warm, or in a heated garage. If it's too cold, you could crack that plenum, so be careful if you use any persuasion.

As you probably have seen, that RH main wire bundle can get in the way.

It would be good to have other options like the drawing depicts in your post.

Again this is only for those who wish to keep their factory emissions and airbox in place.

Todd.
KZ1300 A-4 4TH 1300 IN 30 YEARS
KZ1000 D-3/ Z1R
ZX900 GPZ A-3
KZ750 E-1
K1200GT
CB750F 1978

Last edit: by Toddh.

Air Box Modification 10 years 2 months ago #1870

• kza13
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 97
Never use Vaseline on rubber or synthetic rubber, it will soak in after a while and weaken and swell the rubber, better to use rubber grease, made for that use and won't affect it at all, also handy around the home for doing water tap shaft seals and the like as Vaseline also eats those away, just a suggestion, no offence meant
after tuesday even the calendar goes WTF
1979 KAWASAKI Z1300 A1 WITH A DJP SIDECAR
Frame No: KZT3OA003911
Engine No: KZT3OAE004153

Air Box Modification 10 years 2 months ago #1882

• Toddh
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 65

kza13 wrote: Never use Vaseline on rubber or synthetic rubber, it will soak in after a while and weaken and swell the rubber, better to use rubber grease, made for that use and won't affect it at all, also handy around the home for doing water tap shaft seals and the like as Vaseline also eats those away, just a suggestion, no offence meant

No offense taken, However, I have used this for years and it has never eaten, deformed, or hardened the airhorn seals.

It may have ill effects to rubber parts not meant for fuel. (Vaseline and fuel being petroleum based)

Regards.

Todd.
KZ1300 A-4 4TH 1300 IN 30 YEARS
KZ1000 D-3/ Z1R
ZX900 GPZ A-3
KZ750 E-1
K1200GT
CB750F 1978

Last edit: by Toddh.

Air Box Modification 10 years 2 months ago #1883

• zed_thirteen
  • zed_thirteen's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 137
Just me then B)

I will just get a one off made and probably drop to 3 pods so I can get the covers on. Thanks to Mikez for pointing me towards Pete's mod. I like the idea for the mesh grill up the back of the engine cradle and I will be stealing that idea too

This was my original inspiration:

Cheers
David
1980 KZ1300 B2 Touring/A2
1990 ZZ-R1100 C1
The following user(s) said Thank You: Toddh

Time to create page: 0.196 seconds