Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

2 long term starts with Choke Air Mod. 5 years 1 month ago #23531

• scotch
  • scotch's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 832
Have had the opportunity now to test the Choke Air Mod 2X after having the bike sit for 2 month intervals.

After finishing a couple of cam-shim adjustments on Nov 11/18, the bike sat until Jan 6/19.
This start was as follows:
Full Choke
1st starter hit of 5 seconds - nothing
2nd 4-5 second - fired on a couple and quit.
3rd - Started immediately but I wasn't quick enough on the reducing the choke and unfamiliar with the new choke sequence I reduced the choke too much - quit.
4th - Started immediately and found that if I quickly applied and reduced the choke several times I was able to keep it running. It took about 1 minute before I could reduce the amount of choke manipulation and have it running at a fixed choke setting. Took about two minutes of warming-up to get a couple of "lazy" cylinders to smooth out and get past some soft "popping". Once the Temp Gauge started to move the Choke could be removed completely and had a nice smooth idle.

Bike sat again from Jan 6/19 until this morning (March 9/19.
Filled the bowls. Full Choke
1st attempt of 5 seconds - nothing.
2nd attempt and the bike fired but quit. Closed the choke too much, too fast !
3rd - Started immediately and found I had to ( as with the first "2 month start"), manipulate the choke full on to partially off to keep it running. Some "popping" from a "lazy" cylinder (or two).
4th - Started immediately and was able to keep it running with manipulating the choke for 20 to 30 seconds. The lazy cyl.(s) then smoothed out and was able to find a choke position that didn't require any more fiddling. As the engine continued to warm and the temp gauge started to move the choke was then shut off. Normal smooth idle !

The Mod works but you'll have learn the choke application procedure that will be unique for your engine, and temperature conditions.
Stan had the same initial learning curve and as he has since reported - he figured it out and has had good starts subsequently.

Feed back from others who have undertaken this modification, will be interesting !
1980 KZ 1300 sr# KZT30A-009997
Always High - Know Fear !

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 long term starts with Choke Air Mod. 5 years 1 month ago #23532

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248
I'm curious, does it behave the same as the original mod? Is there any difference?

I have noticed as well that depending on how long the bike has been sitting, and the temperatures, the bike might behave a bit differently. But these are just small differences. From my experience, and hearing yours, I think overall these are great results and the mod is a great success! And I agree, implementing it this way is cleaner and more 'pro' like looking. I am going to buy these jets as well and go for it.

Totally agree - using the choke has a learning curve. There is a general outline to this procedure, but it's not a formula written in stone and has to be experimented with and has a learning curve. The best way I'd describe how I do it now would be by feeling, listening to the engine and seeing how it reacts. It takes some playing with the choke until the engine warms up and the idle stabilizes once the oil is well distributed, the engine becomes sealed and all the different gaps grow starts to fall into the desired operational range. I remember when I was unsure and a bit panicky even not knowing what's going on at first - glad to have that behind me! :) Hope nothing changes.

2 long term starts with Choke Air Mod. 5 years 1 month ago #23533

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
Did you mention a set of 4 you purchased scotch? Can you post a link? If you or anyone else did before, I can't find it.

Any thought abut these? 4 for $11.15, ready to screw in with a small hex socket, many sizes including 280.

Mikuni 4 mainjets 280 - not sure the thread size

Last edit: by StanG.

2 long term starts with Choke Air Mod. 5 years 1 month ago #23534

• scotch
  • scotch's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 832
I'm curious, does it behave the same as the original mod? Is there any difference?

No difference Stan. That's the beauty of the simplicity of this mod.. You can plug the hole with almost anything - as long as the reduced diameter is 3/32".
This is my purchase of 4.
E bay "Holley Carb Carburetor GAS MAIN JETS KIT 50-109 1/4-32 ANY SIZE U CHOOSE 4 PACK"

The Tap:
E bay "STUART & OTHER MODEL LIVE STEAM ENGINE, 1/4 x 32 CS 2nd TAP, NEW UNUSED ITEM"
1/4 x 32 is very fine and not common.
1980 KZ 1300 sr# KZT30A-009997
Always High - Know Fear !
The following user(s) said Thank You: StanG

Last edit: by scotch.

2 long term starts with Choke Air Mod. 5 years 1 month ago #23535

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
Sounds good scotch, although it was REALLY hard to say it! Gt it? :huh: I miss yur light and witted sense f humr present. Hpe we can get the same laughs as befre.

L0L - literally!!! My keyboard lost the 'o' key, so I am actually doing the 'Ctrl + V' to paste an 'o' from clipboard when needed. Felt weird at first but we humans can get used and adopt to anything. And imagine all the Chinese and Japanese who must scroll through countless numbers of kanji to choose the right one!
Still, I fucking want my 'o' back......

I will check those leads, thank you.

If you have any thoughts on the link I sent, let me know. I wonder if the '280' refers to the same 280 in the jest you used. Perhaps can't check o it unless experimenting with a purchase?

2 long term starts with Choke Air Mod. 5 years 1 month ago #23536

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
oh boy.. that's about CAD $30 for 3 and that's one carb set... for the jets... There must be a cheaper way!....

Time to create page: 0.090 seconds