Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Lean Idle 4 years 7 months ago #24945

• scotch
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 832
Tools (and knowing how to use them), motivation, inquisitiveness and an inherent DIY nature............AWESOME !
1980 KZ 1300 sr# KZT30A-009997
Always High - Know Fear !
The following user(s) said Thank You: Daro

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Lean Idle 4 years 7 months ago #24949

• Daro
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 78
Scotch thanks, yeah i always been like this, if you don't know whats inside than it doesn't belong to you. Any way ill continue with this "problem discovering and sollutions journey" and hope it makes a interesting reading for you guys.

Lean Idle 4 years 7 months ago #24950

• Daro
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 78
Lambda. It was on my wish list for a long time, to fit the lambda sensors but the cost of it and time needed was the problem, it was suppose to help solving mixture issues, and finally I got to it. It can measure from 0,68 up to 1,36 and display as lambda numerical value.

The sensors are wide band lambda, LSU 4.9 Bosh 0 258 017 025. The controller I used is 14point7 Sigma Lambda Controller Free 2, and the 0-5 volt linear output signal from it, goes to home made dual-three digit display, based on two arduino processors programmed with modified multimeter software. The drawback of this solution is that the cables feeding the power supply and signal to the display are long and going along the ignition coils and cables thus causing massive interference (voltage spikes) with in witch must be suppressed before they reach microprocessor, personally I could hardly recommend this solution all thou I still can see the displayed value for both sensors.

First step was organizing stuff and make a plan what goes where, build shielded cables, some small stuff etc. Decision where to put the bungs was crucial, I had to position theme in, so no water will accumulate in the sensor otherwise the porcelain inside will crack when they heat up, also they must maintain proper temperature with help from exhaust gases in order to work at all, so not too far from exhaust port, and third, it was going to be only two sensors, so one for the left and one for the right side where middle carburetor fuel level setting will be shared, also I was slowly running out of space. After that, welding the bungs on to the collector boxes and routing the cables. Worth mentioning is that when center stand is up it must not collide with the sensors, and I know there is very little margin to spare. Than the wiring of the connectors, building the housing for the controllers and display, voltage supply and finally building display electronics it self from scratch because of the price for dual display was waaaay to high !!! Oh well, one has to do it him self.

As end commentary to this I find the lambda system very useful to have while setting the carburetors, especially when for some unknown reason things not working out for you, or simply to see what change has greater impact on AFR and in which RPM range. Like I wrote before, I was looking for the answer why my bike is running super rich in certain conditions and bogs in others, so for this it was very useful in order to isolate which changes have and which don't have any impact on it. I'm posting this because if someone have similar problem, or is looking for the answer "do I really need this?"
No, it was a help but at the same time did not resolve my problem in any way. Also once you know a little bit about it, glance on the spark plugs is enough to tell the story or You could just read here what setup is recommended and try similar one for you self, that's the purpose of this writing anyway.
After you set the carburetors properly up there is no need for it any more, what's more it distract the attention of the driver, that's not very useful, is it.

Daro
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: tackelhappy, zed_thirteen

Time to create page: 0.094 seconds