Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Chance to buy 1983 KZ1300 ....parked running but sitting for 10 years!!! Yes/No 3 years 10 months ago #27123

• tvrfan2003
  • tvrfan2003's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Strate6, if we didn't already have money trees and understanding missus, this forum would be redundant! lol Yes I learned a long time ago, take your time and do a budget for time and money on each project, THEN BURN IT cause each will be tripled before you are done .....lol Tks again to all for advise, will know this weekend. As an aside has anyone discovered a workable alternative to the huge radiator that blocks the view of those gorgeous pipes? Thinking given tech advances in 30 years there may be smaller options now that would work

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Chance to buy 1983 KZ1300 ....parked running but sitting for 10 years!!! Yes/No 3 years 10 months ago #27126

• scotch
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 832
Some have reworked the radiator position. My idea, if I had a frame, would be to use the frame tubes as the Main reservoir with a finned cooler and small fan either under the left side of pan (D.G.header) or under battery.
1980 KZ 1300 sr# KZT30A-009997
Always High - Know Fear !

Chance to buy 1983 KZ1300 ....parked running but sitting for 10 years!!! Yes/No 3 years 10 months ago #27127

• strate6
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • On An Adventure Before Dementia ! !
  • Thank you received: 356
I am almost sure someone had a go at repositioning the radiator at the rear of the bike by running stainless steel pipes from the front of the motor ???

Dont know if it ever came to a working project or not though.

Personally, after owning over ten 1300's over the past 40 years and working on many more, I cannot see how it will be practical and possible to keep it cool without the radiator at the front, as even there the bike still runs quite hot as the rad is not large enough to begin with in my opinion.

Pete F
UK
Why Have Four When You Can Have Six ?

Chance to buy 1983 KZ1300 ....parked running but sitting for 10 years!!! Yes/No 3 years 10 months ago #27129

• McBoney
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 96
I was looking in to this issue a few months ago when my project as at that stage and found on Facebook an outfit that fitted the radiator under the seat!

I messaged them to ask how and what and they said; don't do it, your ass will fry! :lol:

So I didn't.
Six-Pot-Cafe in the making...

Chance to buy 1983 KZ1300 ....parked running but sitting for 10 years!!! Yes/No 3 years 10 months ago #27133

• Phil
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • 1984 ZG1300-A1 DFI
  • Thank you received: 144
There is a fella in the UK (who's name now escapes me :() with a custom Z1300 who fitted a smaller radiator from a Suzuki SV650, it's rectangular but he's mounted it long ways vertically, so it's the same width as the frame tubes. I did voice my concerns about using a radiator from a bike with half the cubic capacity but he was adamant it would be OK. Not heard from him since though, so can't report on whether it was a success or not.
Only dead fish go with the flow

Chance to buy 1983 KZ1300 ....parked running but sitting for 10 years!!! Yes/No 3 years 10 months ago #27136

• strate6
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • On An Adventure Before Dementia ! !
  • Thank you received: 356
He is probably sitting at the side of the road with a melted top end or worse !

I honestly think even if a larger rad was fitted to a 1300, it would still run very hot !

Good luck to him (SV650 rad on a Z13..... HAHA !.............).:woohoo: :ohmy: :whistle:

Pete F
UK
Why Have Four When You Can Have Six ?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Phil

Last edit: by strate6.
Time to create page: 0.060 seconds