Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Chance to buy 1983 KZ1300 ....parked running but sitting for 10 years!!! Yes/No 3 years 10 months ago #27081

• tvrfan2003
  • tvrfan2003's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
First I apologize for such a vague question....Have rebuilt a number of bikes over the years but all air cooled..Have a chance to grab a 1983 1300 that was apparently running but parked because it scared the hell out of its owner at one point,,,,interest lost and bike sat behind house......domestic situation changed and bike continued to sit behind the house for 10 years....wife now wants it gone! lol......I know all lines/rubber/ will be shot, brakes toast, and that gas will have long turned to varnish in carbs and lines.....not pleasant but workable depending on if engine has seized from sitting.....my main concern to which I have no knowledge, is being water cooled, will everything be corroded and destroyed from sitting as well with the antifreeze in it for that long? Anyway, I can grab bike for $300 bucks but would sincerely appreciate any thoughts or suggestions from those more familiar with these bikes....again apologize for rambling post but any help appreciated....
  • [/ol]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Chance to buy 1983 KZ1300 ....parked running but sitting for 10 years!!! Yes/No 3 years 10 months ago #27097

• Kawboy
    • Sustaining Member
    • Sustaining Member
    • Thank you received: 1029
    I'd be all over it. We've seen some pretty awful messes coming back to life. as far as the antifreeze, worse case scenario might be the water pump seal, provided the antifreeze is antifreeze and not water. Should be a good project for the not faint of heart.
    The following user(s) said Thank You: tvrfan2003

Chance to buy 1983 KZ1300 ....parked running but sitting for 10 years!!! Yes/No 3 years 10 months ago #27098

• Kawboy
    • Sustaining Member
    • Sustaining Member
    • Thank you received: 1029
    I'd be all over it. We've seen some pretty awful messes coming back to life. as far as the antifreeze, worse case scenario might be the water pump seal, provided the antifreeze is antifreeze and not water. Should be a good project for the not faint of heart.

Chance to buy 1983 KZ1300 ....parked running but sitting for 10 years!!! Yes/No 3 years 10 months ago #27099

• Lucien-Harpress
    • Platinum Member
    • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 108
    Jump on it. There's easily 300 bucks just in parts on these machines.

That being said, depending on the conditions on where it sat, it may be entirely salvageable. I know the A3s had the thing with the one-year-only ignition pickups, but if those would I don't see a problem. (Assuming the 1983s were the year with those pickups, I'm not sure.)

Last edit: by Lucien-Harpress.

Chance to buy 1983 KZ1300 ....parked running but sitting for 10 years!!! Yes/No 3 years 10 months ago #27102

• McBoney
    • Platinum Member
    • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 96
    I started with a wreck that was totally seized (see my long thread on 'another basket case').

And paid FAR too much for it (just under £500 or USD 700).

But it is nearly ready to start again. Go for it!

Paul
    Six-Pot-Cafe in the making...

Chance to buy 1983 KZ1300 ....parked running but sitting for 10 years!!! Yes/No 3 years 10 months ago #27106

• Tyler
    • Elite Member
    • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 46
    I am riding a project bike I paid $800 for... I would absolutely jump on a complete 1300 for $300. Running or not, like mentioned above thereis easily more than 300 in parts if the bike is a goner and not fixable.
    1981 KZ1300

Time to create page: 0.086 seconds