Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

1981 KZ1300 A3 make over 4 years 3 months ago #25647

• StanG
  • StanG's Avatar Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248
Reflecting on the differential oil leak, where there should be none. I am sure by now it was coming from the 'pumpkin'. Screwed seal, too much oil, built up pressure, made the oil travel up the swing arm where the drive shaft resides. Different color than the engine oil drained, the angle, consistency in the color and look of the engine oil when drained, the drip when the 'pumpkin' removed of mor of the same... all points toward problem at the differential. Thank you New Years!!!! :)

Preventative seal change at the 'pumpkin' seal will take care of things.

Rest - clean up, molybdenum grease, and that's all when the time comes for assembly.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1981 KZ1300 A3 make over 4 years 3 months ago #25652

• McBoney
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 96
Oh my goodness Stan, that looks a mess! Almost worse than with mine when I got it. At least mine hadn't been messed with so much, merely sat in a desert for a number of years and having parts robbed off it, sand getting in and wiring disintegrating. No 'deliberate sabotage'.

I guess if you find this kind of stuff, you can't really trust anything.... which means a total start-again job.

... but you love that, so I kinda-not feel so sorry for you?! ;) :P

Have a great 2020!

Paul
Six-Pot-Cafe in the making...
The following user(s) said Thank You: StanG

1981 KZ1300 A3 make over 4 years 3 months ago #25654

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
THank you Paul!

It will be a great year for both of us, I put my money on it. I know both our current project bikes will run! It will be exciting to see them complete.

Yes, very frustrating in the meantime. My bike was basically butchered like a disposable thing. Lots of things done to it make no sense and serve no purpose. Seems like there was no philosophy behind it and no bigger picture present. Honestly, it crossed my mind many times that it was a mistake buying it after all. It's too late now, and I don't like leaving things unfinished. In other words, a lucky serial number for this bike.

1981 KZ1300 A3 make over 4 years 3 months ago #25702

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
Not a very inspiring update in terms of technical data, but something that crosses my mind regarding my bike and I want to share it. Be it talking to myself.

Took a closer look at this right foot peg. The bolt there was used to secure the 6-1 exhaust, the peg bracket and the peg together. This setup does not exist in real world of stock KZ1300. But wait a minute... These two chrome collars, and the rubber, resemble something! That's right - these are turn signal collars and a damper.

My theory is - the original, or whoever the bike belonged to when it got butchered, decided to sell off all the parts for profit and have a free 'naked' KZ1300 to ride. Too bad it was done in a really crude and stupid way - wht cutting off things that have absolutely no effect on the function or look of the bike? Example - center stand brackets, battery tray mounting brackets, original exhaust brackets, etc. You can't see them, that does not serve any design as with this bike there was absolutely none, and having them off does not improve performance! Just work done without purpose other than imaginary pointless misguided compultion.

Enough about my take at the 'fabricator'. But I'd love to hear from him and ask a few questions.

Again - most of the wire harness at home.

Attachments:

1981 KZ1300 A3 make over 4 years 3 months ago #25705

• McBoney
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 96
Well spotted on the indicator covers!

Haha, wiring spagetti! :-)

Just don't throw anything until you have a replacement and/or the bit is broken. Someone will have a use for some of the connectors, if you don't.

Cheers
Paul
Six-Pot-Cafe in the making...

1981 KZ1300 A3 make over 4 years 3 months ago #25714

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
Chers Paul!

There is not much to save when it comes to the harness - all except the direct to the CDI and regulator had been cut and crimped. All connectors CUT 0FF!! What a shame. Pointless!!! Proves the guy had no long term plans for the bike. Just strip it, ride as if stolen, and discard. F_ _ _ g shame and disgrace. I am going to order a bunch of connectors and electrical stuff from a link supplied earlier - damn, forgot the address and will need to dig it out. It will not just help this build, but having 3-4 each, will be a good future investment. When I am old and stationary, or old and in need of cash to move around?

Target: connectors and different color wires.

I never throw anything out. :)

Last edit: by Kawboy.
Time to create page: 0.107 seconds