But mine will be different as I am planning to use an 1980-ies KZ1000P tank, and a large round headlight with integrated speedo etc... and six-in-to-six exhausts...and racing clip-ons, and various other subtle bits, but the colour scheme will be similar.
McBoney wrote: I just got the first lot of bits back from the 'industrial' oven. Looking very nice, particularly the silver Simoniz paint. The grey top just needs a clear coat or two which will make the colour slightly darker and makes it glossy.
Very nice colour combo. Can't wait to see finished product.
Started to build back up the cylinder jug with the water pump shaft etc. The shaft had a small area just being the impeller that was quite corroded, but I worked out that that bit sits in between the two seals, so no impact on smooth running.I cleaned and polished it anyway, but some pitting remains.
I had a hard time figuring out the sealing arrangement and had to get my head around a mechanical seal - never heard of one. After some 'gentle persuasion' I was able to extract the metal cover from the seal out of the aluminium cover - it was so tight I thought it was one piece! Previous owner had slapped lots of orange sealant around that had to be scraped off.
As I have no clue what to look for in terms of being in good condition, I opted for a new one. Search on ebay for part number 49063-1001 came up empty but 49063-1002 came up with one in Thailand (Ebay.co.uk number 173160668247). Looks the same and for USD 11 incl shipping I'm willing to take a chance.
Other than that I cleaned the oil pan cover and I'm half way through sanding the engine covers. Boring but essential work.
Few more pics of the water pump shaft assembly, plus what I had forgotten about at the bottom of the box of stuff still to sort, the remaining water system parts... very dirty. But I checked the thermostat in a pan of boiling water and that still works!
If you look closely you can see the slight pitting at the top of the shiny bit on the shaft, as well as the orange sealant on the cap that retains the mechanical seal.
Also realised I can't really assemble any of these bits until I have the cylinder tub on the crankcase as the chains need to go through... Never mind. At least I had some fun thinking about assembly.
Awaiting the wife's departure for down under next week, then the crankcase moves into the kitchen to get done! It is far too cold in the garage now...