Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 4 years 5 months ago #25235

• McBoney
  • McBoney's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 96

Kawboy wrote: i keep mentioning this over and over and over- There are FAKE Shindengen reg/rect's out there and especially on FleeBay. If you go this route go to www.roadstercycle.com and get the real deal.

I have seen the youtube videos.. thanks for the warning.

Paul
Six-Pot-Cafe in the making...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 4 years 5 months ago #25236

• zed_thirteen
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 137

Kawboy wrote: i keep mentioning this over and over and over- There are FAKE Shindengen reg/rect's out there and especially on FleeBay. If you go this route go to www.roadstercycle.com and get the real deal.

I can confirm there are lots of fakes - I think almost everything on eBay is a fake. the one I bought before doing thorough research was charging my battery at 17v to 18v.

None of the fakes have copied the exact cooling fin pattern of the original Shindengen part. They all look the same until you look closely at the number of fins and the breaks along certain fins. this is probably to avoid being sued for patent or copyright issues

I bought a second hand genuine one from a breakers that came of a BMW - after studying the pictures very carefully!
1980 KZ1300 B2 Touring/A2
1990 ZZ-R1100 C1

Last edit: by zed_thirteen.

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 4 years 5 months ago #25238

• tackelhappy
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 164
Platinum Sixer

Thank you received: 226

tacklehappy - I missed it or just forgot.. You're in BC?

That's correct Stan South Okanagan Valley.
" If you can't say what you think, very soon you won't be able to think !
OKANAGAN FALLS. BC ,Canada

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 4 years 5 months ago #25240

• McBoney
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Right, I mounted the headlight..... I'm not sure... I think it may be too big!

Also, not sure about the mounting. Currently I have it on the bracket that supports the fairing, so it doesn't turn with the forks. It may be better if I get two side brackets and mount them onto the forks...

Anyway, This is how it looks.

Attachments:

Last edit: by McBoney.

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 4 years 5 months ago #25242

• Neville
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 75
I would agree that there are many fake Shindengen regulators on e-bay. There is no such thing as a 'cheap' Shindengen unit. I bought a Shindengen SH775 series unit to address my perennial 79 stator overheat issues and have been very happy with the solution. The only challenge comes in fitting it, as even the 775 is much bigger than the OEM fit unit. I have no idea where one might find space to fit the SH847 as this is enormous.
The 775 does not fit between the battery and the side cover if positioned with the connector facing outwards so I rotated it by 90 degrees with the connector facing the back where it fits with a small clearance between the frame tubes. Pics and wiring diagram below:

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: zed_thirteen, stocktoy, Kawboy, McBoney

Last edit: by Neville.

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 4 years 5 months ago #25243

• McBoney
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Ok, no going back now!

Rear section cut off. Hoop needs a little more alignment and then welding in.

That would then be most of the structural welding done.

On the headlight I have decided to await my new forks and see what the situation is then. These will be 58cm dia so will stick out a little more. Then I'll get the clip-on handlebars and decide whether I'll mount the light with one bottom bracket to the frame (non turning light) or two side brackets to the forks (turning light).

Cut off sections will go to Canada tomorrow.

Paul

Attachments:

Last edit: by McBoney.
Time to create page: 0.124 seconds