Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 4 years 8 months ago #24802

• scotch
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 832
Ditto ! Used a strap around the engine and a chain-hoist. One person and out the right side of frame. Oil-pan on.
1980 KZ 1300 sr# KZT30A-009997
Always High - Know Fear !

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 4 years 8 months ago #24808

• McBoney
  • McBoney's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 96
Ok gents, thanks for the heads-up.

The manual says t take the cylinder head cover off... which will expose the camshafts. Apart from a LOT of bolts to undo and redo, I prefer to leave it on as it cannot mean that much of a space gain, maybe an inch? Anyway, at the other end the oil pan is off now so I will have a little more room that way.

I have the engine currently on a strap attached to a chain hoist, and right-side up, so I'll give inserting it from the RH side into the frame a go tomorrow. If that does not work, I will try the side-ways-in method.

Paul
Six-Pot-Cafe in the making...

Last edit: by McBoney.

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 4 years 8 months ago #24815

• McBoney
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Right, that was a bit of a job, but it's in! I hoisted the engine up and strapped the frame to a dolly on wheels so I could slide the frame around the suspended engine.

Initially it just wouldn't stop fouling the frame, until I figured out I had forgotten to take two engine brackets off (doh).

Then I lined the whole thing up again

and with quite a bit of manual pulling and shoving it did eventually drop into the frame.

Only thing that suffered was the LH breather cover, but that can easily be taken off and repainted..

Now I'll attach the carbs and see whether I can cut the frame where I want to.

Next week.

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 4 years 8 months ago #24816

• scotch
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 832
Well done !
1980 KZ 1300 sr# KZT30A-009997
Always High - Know Fear !

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 4 years 8 months ago #24817

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248
Great! It's a big step! I am wondering - will you be removing the engine again for frame fabrication or do it with it in? In this case I suppose the frame will also be painted with the engine installed.

0n a side note, I think it's not possible to remove and install a fully assembled engine with a deep oil pan.

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 4 years 8 months ago #24830

• McBoney
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
It depends... if there is enough room to cut and weld with the engine in, it will stay in. If not, then it will have to come out again for the frame amendments, and then go back in to build the bike up. Need to have the engine in to determine stance, fork length, ride height, exhaust routing etc etc.

I will build it up to a 'running/rideable' state to make sure everything fits and all brackets on the frame are in the right place and/or removed. Only when I'm happy with the end result will everything come apart again and get painted, and finally re-assembled.

... loooong term project remember? ;)

Time to create page: 0.109 seconds