Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 5 years 5 months ago #21622

• McBoney
  • McBoney's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 96
Hi Stan, Thank you.:)

The engine is out of the frame, sitting on a table frame, which itself sits on a plank of wood with wheels. All the covers are off. Only things that may still need to come off are the oil pump and the clutch, but I'm not sure if that is strictly necessary.

As I am having no luck finding anyone willing to take this on, I have decided to at least open the crankcase case myself and see what's what. If that scares me too much, I will simply bolt it back together and continue the search for a mechanic. If I feel confident and can see better how it all goes together I may attempt the chain swaps myself. I have ordered the chains today - they should be with me early next week. GBP 119 (USD 150) per chain delivered is not bad.

Of course I will make copious pictures. And the good news is that the wife will be going to Oz for two weeks in November, so I CAN use the kitchen table if I need to... :P :P ... as long as I clean up properly.
Six-Pot-Cafe in the making...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 5 years 5 months ago #21624

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248
Great news about wife leaving! (sorry wife, LOL)

With all the work, of course remove and examine the clutch. It's a few bolts and one nut, the nut comes off best with an impact pneumatic driver.
Oil pump - why not, but could be done later.
When you get to that stage of having all bolts removed, there are three places for extra bolts to screw in and separate the cases. I wouldn't jam any chisels between the halves.
Did you already remove the oil pan? If so, a spray can of WD40, toothbrush and rags treatment until all is clean inside and out. And dry! Then easy to move to the table at home, and slowly disassemble with proper light. I'd put a large garbage bag underneath on the floor to keep things clean and catch anything that would fall.
The key will be using proper tools and marking and organizing all that comes of the engine.
And take lots of photos! And best to post them here, so you will have it in one place with all the extra notes and comments. I am far away from assembling the case I have, as I will be using whatever available parts, which will need to be at the right cost. (meaning cheap!). My crank case will be assembled form no less than probably 20 different engines, and the complete motor maybe 30? So, it's not going to be a quick job, as all is done piece by piece, like a real puzzle. I've had some good luck already - the cylinder block in perfect shape except one sleeve was $15 US and I got a complete transmission/gears with chains, output etc. in great shape for 40. Can't wait to start the assembly!

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 5 years 5 months ago #21641

• McBoney
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
That sounds awesome Stan, can't wait for you to post.

I will remove the oil pump and clutch this weekend.

And hereunder what turned up this afternoon!

Paul

Attachments:

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 5 years 5 months ago #21653

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248
Great! The chains I have seem very solid when playing with them, but a real test will be when having them assembled.

More photos of your bike please! haha

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 5 years 5 months ago #21677

• Koba
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi McBoney

I'm very interested in your project at London.
I live in Japan now, but I'm going to get transferred to London next year.
And I'm going to rent a service apartment near Finchley Road Station for about a mouth.
Could I ask you where are you living in London?
Z1300 A-4 Gifu,Japan
Attachments:

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 5 years 5 months ago #21678

• McBoney
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Hi Koba,

Just up the road from you in Finchley Central.

You ride?

Paul

Time to create page: 0.181 seconds