Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 5 years 3 months ago #22594

• stocktoy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 91
Be careful with the cam chain too. I know that one gave me problems because When I put the block and head and cams back in I did it in the frame and thought the chain was on however it had slipped off to the side of the crank sprocket and I didn't know it until it jammed up on the first test ride luckily it didn't do any damage however it was a real bitch to get back in place.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 5 years 3 months ago #22595

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248
Great point stocktoy! That chain has to be placed right and then always under tension and monitored until on the shaft. Also important to follow the tightening sequence. Too much force on one end might snap the camshaft in half.

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 5 years 3 months ago #22657

• McBoney
  • McBoney's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 96
Right, I was ready to install the camshafts and hit a snag. Tappet buckets and shims. I can't find anywhere in the manual how to adjust the shims to the right size. The ones that came out were marked 1x 275, 2 x 270, 3 x 265, 2 x 260, 1 x 250 and 3x ?? (couldn't read the numbers).

Obviously now that the head with all the valves has been redone, these are not necessarily correct and even if they were, no idea whence they came.

So I need to re-shim every valve, but how, and what are the measurements supposed to be?

Anyone any ideas?

Paul
Six-Pot-Cafe in the making...

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 5 years 3 months ago #22659

• strate6
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • On An Adventure Before Dementia ! !
  • Thank you received: 356
If you look at Page 15 of the W/S Manual (as kindly provided on the front page of this site) you can see the charts for shim sizes and adjustment.

Basically you are looking to set all 12 valves within the correct tolerance, so you just have to start out with any shim and do the maths from there when you are starting out with all new valves.
Dont forget you can obviously move the shims around from valve to valve to get the correct tolerance.

Hope that helps

Pete F
UK
Why Have Four When You Can Have Six ?
The following user(s) said Thank You: McBoney

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 5 years 3 months ago #22660

• McBoney
  • McBoney's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 96
Err, please ignore my post above - found it under valve clearance - pages 14 and 341.

But any tips gratefully received!

Paul
Six-Pot-Cafe in the making...

Last edit: by McBoney.

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 5 years 3 months ago #22661

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248
Goooood morning!

I'm kind of surprised the machine shop didn't do the adjustment. It often involves grinding the ends of the valves (there is 0.3 mm maximum limit), so they would be the best to do it, considering they know how much was taken off the seats.

Other than that, I guess you'll go by the book. Or, you can go by looking at the valve and position of the camshaft. I guess I'd start with a 250 as a starting point and go from there.

Time to create page: 0.173 seconds