Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to the Kunena forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Greetings from the Oregon Outback! 4 years 5 months ago #25192

• rdurost
  • rdurost's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 26
I'm Richard Durost, from the High Desert of north-central Oregon.

My list of dream bikes Includes the Yamaha RD-400C, the first-generation naked Honda Goldwing, the Honda CBX, and (surprise) the KZ-1300. I first read about these bikes when I was in High School and college.

Since I moved out to the Outback, I've been making progress on my list. My former girlfriend flatly forbade me from buying a near-mint RD-400C (at the time I was being well-rewarded for my obedience) but when we moved to the country she lightened up because of the lack of traffic.

I got the '77 GoldWing about nine years ago, and it's made me very happy. My only problem is that, being self-employed, I never get enough time to ride (and fawn over) it. It's everything I ever imagined it would be. When I read that Honda hadn't been able to decide whether it would be a tourer or their new Superbike, I was hooked for life. Despite its weight (and my own at ~270 lbs) it's a screamer that can't get enough revs.

I read about the KZ1300 in college, when they were first introduced. The sheer wretched excess of a 6-cylinder, water-cooled, shaft-driven (I HATE chain maintenance) 120 HP bike that weighed over 700 lbs and went over 140 MPH made my jaw drop.

I first discovered my particular 1982 KZ1300-B over five years ago, out behind a client's house. His wife had forbidden him from riding it after he dumped it on gravel at zero MPH, and its last registration expired in 2007. I immediately expressed my admiration for the bike, and asked him if he was interested in selling it. At the time he wasn't ready to let go of it, but since then his health has declined, and the bike went into a yard sale. A good friend of mine saw it, and knew it was too good a deal to pass up, even though he personally had no interest in dealing with it. By sheer luck, I found out about it after the fact and was able to get it for an insanely low price.

I'm not interested in any of the "Tupperware" as us naked-bike aficionados call the fairing/bags/trunk, but rest assured, they will go into the hands of somebody who will appreciate and make good use of them.

The bike is remarkable in that it only has 5,800 miles on the clock, and apart from a couple of minor dents in the tank, is in amazingly good condition, especially given that it was outside, uncovered, for significant parts of that 12+ years it sat. Danger signs include (1) the tool tray/airbox cover is unaccountably missing, so it's possible that it was operated essentially without an air cleaner for a period, and (2) of the six+ quarts of oil that this year 1300 holds, there was maybe 1.5 quarts in it. There is no sign of leakage or scary metal dust/particles in the oil or on the filter. The filter assembly was missing its spring. for what it's worth, although I have a new spring and filter to go with the 10W-40 Valvoline semi-synthetic oil I plan to use in it. This oil is what I'm using in the GW, which also has a wet clutch, and it's been working flawlessly.

I have a lot to learn, but I already have a factory service manual, and I'm excited to be plugged in to this network of my fellow fanatics (er, I mean "passionate supporters") for this piece of motorcycling history!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Greetings from the Oregon Outback! 4 years 5 months ago #25193

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1027
Welcome to the site!! I like your enthusiasm and hope that stays with you as you work through your new acquisition. Sounds like quite a find !!.If you haven't already, work through the FAQ tab and get your head wrapped around all of the idiosyncrasies of the mighty K Z. There's tons of info there to get you started. When you're stuck, the boys are here to help. Lots of great help when you need it.

You'll be required to post once more and have a moderator approve the post to give you the freedom to post at will. (We've had issues with "new members" joining up for the purposes of promoting their own businesses unrelated to KZ1300's )

How about posting some pics of this amazing find. (The boys love eye candy)

Cheers,
KB

Last edit: by Kawboy.

Greetings from the Oregon Outback! 4 years 5 months ago #25194

• rdurost
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
The bike is currently stuck in another buddy's very crowded back yard,, but rest assured that as soon as I can get it out, I'll be posting.pictures!

Richard

Greetings from the Oregon Outback! 4 years 5 months ago #25195

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Lifelong Rider Suffering Through MBD
  • Thank you received: 274
Hi Richard,
North Central Oregon says Hermiston or Umatilla perhaps Pendelton to me. Do you ever get down the Central Central Oregon, by that I mean Bend?
Bill
1947 Indian Chief, 1968 BSA Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 Kawasaki W3, 1976 KZ900 A4, 1979 KZ750 B4, 1979 KZ750 B4 Trike, 1980 KZ550, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 1985 Kawasaki ZN1300, 1987 Yamaha Trail Way, 2000 Honda Valkyrie Tourer, 1981 GL 1100, 2009 Yamaha RoadLiner S

Greetings from the Oregon Outback! 4 years 5 months ago #25197

• rdurost
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
I'm actually in Fossil, in Wheeler County, about an hour and a half SSE of The Dalles. Are you in the Bend area?

I make the 2.5-hour trip down to Bend a few times a year, mainly to go to Costco, and was just there on Friday. This time I stumbled across Bend Lock and Safe, and I was able to get them to cut me a couple of keys for the KZ13 from the code. They work flawlessly! As soon as I get my posting privileges I'll put the details in the Tech forum.

Greetings from the Oregon Outback! 4 years 5 months ago #25198

• biltonjim
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 240
Welcome Richard. I’m looking forward to seeing your photos ( I’d like to see the Gold Wing too ) and reading about the revival of the KZ1300.
Since you stated your preference for shaft drive motorcycles, is the Yamaha XS Eleven on your wish list? I used to own one, and have a very high opinion of that bike.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.077 seconds