Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to the Kunena forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!
  • Page:

TOPIC:

It's time... 5 years 2 months ago #23192

• A1
  • A1's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 9
Gents, greetings, somewhat overdue, but herewith my intro to the com…

My KZ 1300 darling is a US model, 1979 A1 that was originally sold in Bozeman, Montana (Jan, 1980) and which I picked up last year from Australia. It was in fairly original condition, abet, 40 years old and needing some desperate TLC - the seller did say that it was a runner…

Upon receipt of the bike (here in NZ), I have been methodically working my way through it one section at a time to get some idea of its maintenance history and to identify any pressing issues. – I didn’t really want to do a complete engine out/strip down and rebuild (unless I had too), and just wanted give it the once over, clean it up, maybe re-do some paint/plating/polishing, get it going as a period survivor and ride it...

One day last week was a milestone event in that I started it up for the first time and was able to complete the (running) carb adjustments -slide synchro, air screws, fast idle and bleed the radiator etc...
It has been a long road - mostly undulating tar seal although there were a few rough patches and pot holes…

I did have to give the carbs the full Monty…
Aye, when I dropped the carb float bowls, I found nasty black sludgy lumps and rust particles, so it was a total strip down and clean using the “Scotch” cleaning system and tool. While I was there I replaced the pilot jets (new), replaced two slide diaphragms, two needle jets, all O rings, a couple of float bowl gaskets, adjusted 2 out of 3 float levels and modified the choke starting circuit as per scotches post (used rivets and 1/8 brass tube as I couldn’t find any suitably sized silicon tube).

The coils that came on the bike were 2 x Axcel (at 3.3 ohms each) and 1 x unknown brand (at 2.2 ohms).
That would not do, so in the interim I have installed a set of ZX10 B series coils which have a primary resistance of 2.8 ohms and a secondary resistance similar in spec to the original KZ coils (I read TrkBr’s post regarding the need to protect the igniter by using a ballast resistor and may install one and suitable coils at some stage down the track).
The ZX coils are physically smaller so I could fit two coils up and one underneath, time will tell whether the heat fries them or not…

I elected to run with new Denso W20EP-U spark plugs.

I left the motor in the frame and dropped the oil pan to check the oil pump pickup screen, which was reasonably clear and measured (as best I could, looking up from beneath, dodging the falling oil drops…) the slack of the primary and secondary drive chains which I reckoned to be less than 15mm.
Maybe, this bike has either had an easy life or has had new chains at some stage.

Total mileage is unknown, speedo reads 26653 miles but last maintenance entry in owner’s manual (that came with it) logged a new Bridgestone Tyre set at 35650 miles back in 2003.
The Bridgestone tyres that are currently on the bike have date codes for 2001 & 2002, so are most likely the same set – the tread would be roughly a quarter worn and assuming you might get 3000 miles from a set of tyres… that would be an extra 750 miles… so maybe a total mileage of around 36500 – ish miles (so hopefully, the speedo might have only been wound back 10000 miles – cu#ts!).

The original pipes have a couple of rust holes in the mufflers and will be up for repair at some stage – so in the interim I will run with the awesome sounding howl of a 6-1 exhaust system…

I was pleasantly surprised when after connecting my temporary fuel supply and hitting the starter button it fired straight away (no choke), with a little choke it started and purred on all 6 cylinders.
Full choke was too much, bearing in mind that it is summer down here at the moment and around 25 degrees Celsius (nice).

I still have a few constraints preventing me from getting it out on the road, namely, rust removal treatment of the gas tank (thinking about using POR15), a set of new tyres and an outstanding problem with one of the front forks (plus a few other minor drama’s to sort out).
I disassembled the forks to install new seals and found that one of cylinder bases was not present (alloy cap that fits on the damping rod), slim chance of buying one, so I am getting one made up.

Like everyone else, I am also still chasing a few of the hard to get parts (if anyone can help?), straight set of OEM headlight brackets (mine have been bent and noticeably re-straightened), a good original seat (mine has been noticeably repaired in a couple of places), The front lower engine mount bolt/nut 313mm (mine has a threaded rod which needed to be longer to attach the engine crash bar set which I am not re-using) and a headlight bucket (mine has the two 6mm holes at the back/top that the faired version has).

It would also be timely to thank all members who over the years have posted and contributed to this extensive knowledge base / resource (known as the KZ1300 Com), else wise, I would still be out in the wilderness, learning my lessons the hard way…
Thanks, cheers
Andy
The following user(s) said Thank You: scotch, zed_thirteen

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

It's time... 5 years 2 months ago #23194

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1029
Welcome to the group !! Looks like you've done your homework and the results show. Love the look of the exhaust can. Looks like a Devil.

It's time... 5 years 2 months ago #23195

• scotch
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 832
Thanks Andy for the feedback. Your use of the Pop-Rivet proves that you can use most anything to accomplish this modification. ( Nice FLUKE meter!)
1980 KZ 1300 sr# KZT30A-009997
Always High - Know Fear !

It's time... 5 years 2 months ago #23202

• Dion
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 42
Hi Andy
see your exhaust turned up
congrats i wondered if you got her running
good luck with the rest
Dion

It's time... 5 years 2 months ago #23227

• Frank833
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 89
On the headlight ears. I may have one. My left side has been straightened (not well). But the right side looks ok though I’ve not given it a critical eye. I have a ZRX fairing coming so won’t be using. But they are worth serious money.

In November I bought a seat from Bob-the-Seat in the UK. He provided me with a complete ready to bolt on seat. Fiberglass pan, new foam, strap, buckles, rubbers and cover. Shipping to the US was not cheap, but the seat was a very good deal and I’m quite happy with it. He will sell any and all parts as needed.

Pictures are from Bob, but it showed up exactly as pictured.

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Attachments:

Last edit: by Frank833. Reason: Fix pics

It's time... 5 years 2 months ago #23229

• A1
  • A1's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 9
Thanks fella's, pm's sent...
Andy

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.175 seconds