Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to the Kunena forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Hello all 6 years 10 months ago #16689

• Pezgoon
  • Pezgoon's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Hey there, my name is Eric and I've found this place after being "dragged into" a project with my father. He has a friend who builds those Kawasaki turbos (can't remember what they are) but he has 5 of them now or something like that so he is obviously a fan of the 70's/80's kawasakis. So he ended up picking up this absolute basket case of a bike from a shop that had been hired to replace the rings, and the dude never paid them. Well they had apparently already pulled the bike apart and it's been sitting like this for who knows how long (but my dust interpretation skills I'd say about 15-20 years)

Attachment not found

I didn't take pictures of the cylinder head and valves nor of the rest of the parts in the box or the shroud but will grab those later

He had paid 200$ for it from the shop and it sat around his house for awhile too ( he builds and sells bikes as his main income so he already had plenty of other projects)

So my dad got it for 200$ from him and volunteers me to help him build it. Now we are both extremely mechanical and do all our own work, but I have never taken on a project like this and as far as I know he hasn't either (we've never built a stripped car or bike like this before or anything similar) so I definitely feel like we have one hell of a challenge ahead of us to get this thing back together and (hopefully) running again.

thoughts? Is it possible? Guesses as to length of time with him traveling 50% of the year and me working full time and being a full time student plus starting a side business and being stuck with maintaining the house and property? I told him I guesstimated atleast 2 years :blink:

Last inspection sticker was 1990, idk if that's accurate as to the last time the bike ran or not, many people in NH don't inspect their bikes. Had 23k on the odometer when it was pulled apart

All the cylinder sleeves have surface rust along with the rods. Fromvthe looks it was burning oil and that's why it came apart for the ring job. The carbs do not move (neither the throttle or choke linkages) but I did not try too hard either not wanting to hurt something. The crank does move by hand so there is that. Thoughts? Suggestions? Where do we even start? Help us figure out if this can be done!
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Hello all 6 years 10 months ago #16695

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1029
Welcome to KZ1300.com. Your purchase looks identical to what I bought 20 years ago for $500.00. Anything is possible if you take the time and patience to work through the rebuild. Good luck, and if you run into trouble, fell free to ask. Lots of great advice hanging out on this site. Also review the KZ1300 FAQ tab at the top of the page. A wealth of info in there.
Cheers,
KB

Hello all 6 years 10 months ago #16699

• Dion
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 42
Hello from NZ
hey i offer for you two dollar and the fifty cent for the high performance shocks
but thats only for the pair
oh dear hope that was not in poor taste!
but seriously do you want to sell the carbs?
Kawaboy ill never make ill mention of mine again after seeing this as a starting point
my very best of luck to you
Dion

Hello all 6 years 10 months ago #16701

• Pezgoon
  • Pezgoon's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Haha, how long did it take you to complete yours KB?

I've considered trying to convince him to sell it out haha, I just don't know if I can handle such a project!

Thanks for the good info, I had already read through how to go through the carbs, that was a very helpful write up. I'll have to take a look through the FAQ's now that I'm able to

Hello all 6 years 10 months ago #16704

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1029

Pezgoon wrote: Haha, how long did it take you to complete yours KB?

I've considered trying to convince him to sell it out haha, I just don't know if I can handle such a project!

Thanks for the good info, I had already read through how to go through the carbs, that was a very helpful write up. I'll have to take a look through the FAQ's now that I'm able to

It's still a work in progress. My life style has sooooooo many interferences in my personal interests that the KZ is still " a work in progress" As an example, this week the wife wanted a sprinkler system put in at the house. Contractors wanted $4500 Canadian. I spent a week putting it in for the paltry sum of $1200 but a lot of grunt work.
Over the last month as part of my volunteer job of managing a clubhouse for our community, I spent 30 hours dealing with a roof inspector and a heating contractor servicing the roof top units and inspecting the roof for 2 identified leaks. One trip to the investment councellor and two trips to Toronto for medical appointments. Whatever you do don't retire. If you think you have no time for yourself when working, wait till you see how little time you have as a retiree. I'm thinking of going back to work so I can have time for myself !!!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.076 seconds