• Page:

TOPIC:

Front brake master cylinder 4 years 2 months ago #25842

• Greg Davis
  • Greg Davis's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 13
undefined What alternative is available when your master cylinder is corroded, Any replacement available that doesn't break the bank or require a Walt Disney production to get it to work. I've read Stan G's post about sleeving the cylinder but can't find a source near or far that is familiar with the 1300's. flea bay has some that look like the oem but subtle differences in electric hook up. I Would love to hear what others are doing to maintain the stock look and function. thank you all in advance!!
Greg
The following user(s) said Thank You: McBoney

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Front brake master cylinder 4 years 2 months ago #25843

• Greg Davis
  • Greg Davis's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 13
the front is what I was referring to.

Front brake master cylinder 4 years 2 months ago #25845

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1029

Greg Davis wrote: the front is what I was referring to.

I updated the topic line.
KB
The following user(s) said Thank You: Greg Davis

Front brake master cylinder 4 years 2 months ago #25850

• Lucien-Harpress
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 108
If keeping it stock is your main goal, quite a few other KZ and GPZ front masters are identical or near-as-makes-no-difference to. Kawasaki liked to change things up year to year, so getting 100% identical might be a challenge, but there are many out there that are close- I had to switch mine, and the only difference is that the sight glass is a smaller diameter than stock for a 1980. But, according to my service manual it seems the 1979 was fitted with the small glass, so... who knows?

Also, depending on how corroded your original is, it may be worth the cost of a rebuild kit to try to refirb it. I was worried about mine, but turns out most of the pitting was in between the seals and not actually on any mating surfaces. A dowel with some emery cloth in a drill might clean it up enough to work, and the master seals have more give than people give them credit for.

There's also plenty of aftermarket MCs out there if you just want braking power without the need for "period correctness", but I can't really speak for any of those. Good luck!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Greg Davis

Last edit: by Lucien-Harpress.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.104 seconds