Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Alternative speed sensor for 85 zn1300 4 years 8 months ago #24747

• Rage10
  • Rage10's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 3
Hey all,
I need a speed sensor for my 85zn1300 I don't really want to use the original electronic type. Are there any mechanical ones that would fit? Any electronic ones I can find are old and I dont trust them to last. Rebuilding them doesnt seem like an option either.
I'm fitting an aftermarket gauge cluster and the manufacturer has a number of digital sensors that would replace the cable in mechanical unit. It works great on my 83 cb1000c.
I dont know what other speed sensors would fit this bike though. Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Isaac.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Alternative speed sensor for 85 zn1300 4 years 7 months ago #24768

• Bucko
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 164
Since the ZN speed sensor is on the front wheel like a mechanical speedo, I suspect a regular KZ1300 mechanical speedo drive may fit.

One possible caveat though, since the ZN is fuel injected, the ECU may need the speed sensor for functions other than just speed - just a guess on my part. Having said that - I regularly see ZN's that have been stripped of bags and fairing - so clearly they don't have the instrument cluster anymore - presumably replaced by a mechanical speedo.
Hello from Canada's We(s)t coast.

Alternative speed sensor for 85 zn1300 4 years 7 months ago #24769

• Rage10
The ECU doesnt need the speed as far as I can tell. The wires were just hanging down when I bought it and it ran just fine. The 89 kz1300 which has a mechanical speedo has fuel injection so it def doesnt need it.
I was curious to see if it would fit. But have heard from other sources that it won't fit.

Alternative speed sensor for 85 zn1300 4 years 7 months ago #24778

• Bucko
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 164

Rage10 wrote: The ECU doesnt need the speed as far as I can tell. The wires were just hanging down when I bought it and it ran just fine.

Makes sense. I guess I was thinking of things like self cancelling signals and maybe gear indicator (specifically O/D indicator - not sure how that's triggered) - neither of which would be required for 'running'.
Hello from Canada's We(s)t coast.

Alternative speed sensor for 85 zn1300 4 years 7 months ago #24779

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1027
I would think the original would be a pulsing coil responding to a iron reluctor. Shouldn't be that hard to correct. (off the top of my head here. No related experience. It's the digital world of 1's and 0's and computers respond to them.)

Alternative speed sensor for 85 zn1300 4 years 4 months ago #25265

• Rage10
So I damaged the original one trying to take it apart. Ended up just cutting it open on my lathe to learn how it works.
It's just a 3 wire hall effect sensor. Power, ground signal and ground. 23 pulses per revaluation.
I bought another one from Nikolia (spelling) in California. Hooked it up and it seems to work. I just have to calibrate it in the speedo and I'm all set.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.102 seconds