• Page:

TOPIC:

Bleeding calipers 6 years 8 months ago #17040

• scotch
  • scotch's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 832
Finally got the pads and put the calipers back on yesterday. While waiting for parts I had a Brain-Fart and came up with this. No other reason then to see If it would work. And it does - almost too well.
Basically it's the vacuum-pump from a Kitchen Vacuum Sealer with some odds and ends. Runs off a 12volt 1000ma power supply. About 2"hg vacuum and it evacuates both calipers simultaneously and almost too quickly.. I had to watch the reservoir level closely. The hand vac-pump was connected merely for the gauge.
Have a video clip but can't download so it's pictures. "Imagine, if you will.....The sound of a cheap 12V tire inflator and the synchronized movement of air-bubbles travelling through tubes....like a scene from "Metropolis". There you go - Brain-Video !
1980 KZ 1300 sr# KZT30A-009997
Always High - Know Fear !
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: biltonjim

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by scotch.

Bleeding calipers 6 years 8 months ago #17041

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1029
Your Brain farts pure genius. We should delay your purchases more often. If this is what your brain farts out, i can't imagine what's "stuck in there".

Nice wizardry !!

Bleeding calipers 6 years 8 months ago #17043

• scotch
  • scotch's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 832
What's stuck inside is XXX, highly Classified, can survive in a vacuum for lengthy periods and would probably scare the shit out me if I really knew the contents, myself ! !

"Abracadabra" and thanks
1980 KZ 1300 sr# KZT30A-009997
Always High - Know Fear !

Bleeding calipers 6 years 8 months ago #17058

• Ledkz1300
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 76
I recently had to bleed the brakes on my Busa. After everything was bled as good as I could manually, I drove it for a few days and wasn't happy. I bled it again with not much improvement. I decided to pump it one final time and ziptied the lever to the bars overnight. Cracked the banjo in the AM and now the brakes are solid. Have to do it all again when my braided lines show up since my old KZ with braided lines still had a better feeling lever.

Bleeding calipers 6 years 8 months ago #17066

• hillsy
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 25
Quite a few years ago an older mechanic showed me how to use a 50cc syringe for brake bleeding and I've never needed anything else since.

Bleeding calipers 6 years 4 months ago #18193

• usakz1300
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 68
For decades, I have used a simple oil squirt can to the caliper bleed port, and back fill the system from the caliper UP. I then reverse bleed, caliper UP.

The whole point is to get all the air out of the system, and, as we are all well aware,m air rises. So, between pumps, any air that doesn't get pumped out diring a conventional top to bottom bleeding, rises back into the hoses, only to be moved up, down, up, down.

Back bleeding always moves the fluid, and air into the fluid pool through the bypass port in the master.

Just another way to do it.

Last edit: by usakz1300.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.075 seconds