Sort Results by
Search at a specific date
Jump to Result Number
Search in Categories

Search Results

Searched for: CRF450
05 Apr 2018 09:13
  • StanG
I totally understand what you are saying Kawboy. And it's great news to hear from you things are fine!
My initial reaction was - this needs to move one tooth. But it would move the mark, using it as reference in all my speculation, a bit below the level and just like you said, change advance beyond what new chains would give. That wouldn't be desirable. I haven't measured the chains, they 'feel' and look fine, but obviously there is some combined slack that developed over time of operation of the bike. I am not at the point of buying all new chains, and will leave it to the CCT to take care of the slack.

That adjustable sprocket project sounds very good, as in my case here the sweet spot seems not possible to achieve by moving things around without something like that. It would always be somewhere in between. Unless starting with changing at least one chain at a time, starting with the primary I would think. I want experiment at this point with gauges and wheels, I am happy to be within good operating conditions and from what I am hearing, it will work fine. :) One day, when I have my own garage, that would be a great project to fine tune this engine as a bigger hobby. Lots of modification can be done, and it's a perfect engine, and a bike, to use it for such fun activities. But, I am now in a business of putting it back to life in the best possible condition I can with what I have. But I can't hide that I like digging deeper into academics and innovations! Sigh..

The inf about CRF450 compatibility is great! I don't know if I ever use it (I'd have to first have a lathe etc.), but it's good to know. In any case, if I live to see this moment, I will with whom to converse ;)

Thank you Kawboy for your input, it gave me a peace of mind. I am very happy to be reach this big milestone.
Category: Bike Projects
05 Apr 2018 01:46
  • Kawboy
Under the circumstances Stan, I don't think you will get it any better than what you have. This whole camshaft drive system relies on a drive chain between the crankshaft and the secondary shaft and then the camshaft drive chain. Any slack in the primary chain will add retarded timing to the set up and the same thing with any stretch in the camshaft drive chain.
Judging by the pic, you almost have enough slack in the chains to advance the cams one tooth but then the cams will be advanced more than if you had new chains in the engine. It would be close and you could only confirm this with a dial gauge. There's 36 teeth on the cam sprocket. A change of 1 tooth on the cam equates to 10 degrees cam rotation or 20 degrees crank rotation. Without being able to measure your setup with a dial gauge and judging by your pic, I would guess your somewhere around 12-15 degrees retarded. That dot on the cam is just to indicate which tooth tip is to align with the top of the engine. If you advance the cams by one tooth in your case, you might be ( a little math here) 12-15 degrees retarded + 20 degrees advanced = 5-8 degrees advanced. This situation is unique to the KZ engine because the cams are being driven off of the secondary shaft. Most engines drive the cam off of the crank for obvious reasons.
This whole aspect is why I intend on modifying my cams to include an ajustable cam sprocket. The cam sprocket from a Honda CRF450 is identical to the cam sprocket built in to the KZ1300 cams. I will cut off the KZ1300 sprocket and leave enough material to flange mount a CRF450 cam sprocket and leave slots in the setup so I have 1 tooth of adjustment to fine tune the cams.
You want to see what I go through to time the 4 camshafts in my Porsche 928. It takes me 4 hours to dismantle the engine so I can get to the cams and another 3 hours to make the adjustment, but once I'm done she sounds soooooo sweet !!

Here's a little tease for you Stan. kz1300.com/index.php/forum/search?query=...5/2018&childforums=1

Hope this explanation helps with your thinking here.
KB
Category: Bike Projects
Displaying 1 - 2 out of 2 results.
Time to create page: 0.065 seconds