Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Radiator reserve bottle wanted 5 years 11 months ago #19843

• scotch
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 832
Firstly: Don't call me Shurley !
There's several issues with retro-fitting an over-flow tank to the original location. Obvious, certainly - but none-the-less:
A) The filler cap location, relative to the tank itself.
B) The back of the tank needs supporting. Accomplished with a "prong (moulded into the OEM tank) that fits into a support grommet,
C) Orientation and location of the inlet to the tank,
D) A cover securing screw on the OEM cover via a moulded tab on the bottom/front of tank, and
E) The physical size.
I've spent many hours "Google" ing" for a substitute. It continues to elude! The closest I can get is this: A soap dispenser from a Pressure Washer. Won't accept the OEM cover and has no securing points. The port is substantially smaller but could be drilled out a another size or two.

What I did with my original when it started falling to pieces was wrap it all (Less the filler-neck) with 2 layers of 6 0z. Fiber-Glass cloth and resin. The cover didn't fit so made another from a piece of fine metal expanded-mesh. Didn't look too bad, either! Ran that for several years without problems until I found a replacement - cheap ! It's now showing signs of age deterioration. There's several "Plastic" moulding manufacturers in my area that could easily produce these over-flow tanks but the problem is the tooling and set-up costs !!!! Same as CNC'ing a Prototype Cleaning Tool or a Spin-on Oil filter/Cooler ! It's "freakin" costly ! Then there's always a "minimum order" which is also a huge expense.
1980 KZ 1300 sr# KZT30A-009997
Always High - Know Fear !
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by scotch.

Radiator reserve bottle wanted 5 years 11 months ago #19847

• RChaloner
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 40
There's one on ebay UK at the moment, about half the price of the Netherlands one, but very yellowed and as per Scoth's comments could be in any condition, but if you're interested it's eBay item number:352105275080 for 42 quid sterling + shipping.

Richard.
1979 KZ1300 A1
1999 K1200LT - now sold, I like them however was nearly as big as my X5 but no faster.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gunhog63

Radiator reserve bottle wanted 5 years 11 months ago #19854

• Gunhog63
  • Gunhog63's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
I managed to get an old one on EBay for £38 + postage. Spoke to the chap selling (really nice bloke) and it is dirty but totally sound. Being as it is 90% hidden i’m happy.

I looked into 3D printing but it appears to cost loads to produce a CAD file for it and the materials used won’t with stand the heat.

Getting injection moulded copies made are also too expensive unless you approach a company to make larger volumes. May be a business opportunity? Now there’s a thought

Thanks for all help and advice
1980 KZ1300A2

My only fear is that when I die my wife sells my bike for what I have told her I spent on it.

Radiator reserve bottle wanted 5 years 11 months ago #19855

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248
Just as a reminder, if only a part of it is bad you can always fix it. That part was very brittle.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gunhog63, Bigbadbaz123

Radiator reserve bottle wanted 5 years 11 months ago #19858

• scotch
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 832
gunhog wrote: Getting injection moulded copies made are also too expensive unless you approach a company to make larger volumes. May be a business opportunity? Now there’s a thought

As pointed out earlier - the cost is outrageous for a "speculation" and what someone would do with a minimum of 1000 KZ 1300 Over-flow tanks, is beyond me.
That's why the "Cleaning Tool' was a big gamble. 2 years to break-even ! (Oh Ye of Little Faith" ) Everyone wants a "Solution" until they find out what the unit price is. Most fail to realize or appreciate that to get the first one of anything made for Proof of Concept can be (usually is) a large outlay of cash that if not recoverable in a reasonable time-frame, is simply not practical nor realistic.
1980 KZ 1300 sr# KZT30A-009997
Always High - Know Fear !

Radiator reserve bottle wanted 5 years 11 months ago #19860

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248
Scotch:

what someone would do with a minimum of 1000 KZ 1300 Over-flow tanks, is beyond me.

Fill it with helium and use for sky diving! hahaha
I'd make a raft and swim around the world :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: scotch

Time to create page: 0.102 seconds