Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Passenger grab bar 5 years 4 months ago #22226

• Frank833
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 89
Daro,

What size die (Center Line Radius) did you use for your bends?

Is that 1/2" tubing?

Thanks,

Frank

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Passenger grab bar 5 years 4 months ago #22239

• Daro
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 78
Hi Frank the die is 86 mm in diameter. The pipe, 15 mm seamless stainless steel. I have made the holding brackets out of 2mm stainless steel, but I tell ya it was a pain to make it fit on the frame and underneath the rear cowling but definitely doable. If you need the pictures just say.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frank833

Last edit: by Daro. Reason: Die size

Passenger grab bar 5 years 4 months ago #22243

• Frank833
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Thanks.

My problem is that, while I have an awesome bender, for something like this the Dies are big and are expensive!

Your 80mm is about 40mm Center Line Radius. The smallest I can get is 2.25" (57mm). And that is $205. That is almost 50% larger radius, and your grab rail "looks" about right.

I might have to see if I can make my own die. It looks like yours are aluminum. That would be pretty easy to machine and weld up. I am not sure if the geometry on the bender prevents a smaller die from working.

I have this bender: www.jd2.com/model-54-bender

I am going to try out a local chrome plater, if he works out, I'd use DOM mild steel and have it plated. Otherwise Stainless is fine.

Last edit: by Frank833.

Passenger grab bar 5 years 4 months ago #22244

• Frank833
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
On the tubing, I cannot readily get 15mm. My choices are 1/2" (12.7mm) or 5/8" (16mm). I Assume 5/8" is a better choice - do you agree?

Passenger grab bar 5 years 4 months ago #22248

• Daro
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 78
Hi Frank I would definitely go for 16mm pipe. I have tried a 12mm pipe at the time, and for me it was too thin so the next size I had was 15mm, apart of that the mounting bolt for the rear shocks its 10 mm so the flat part made out of 12 mil tube would be marginal to drill the hole in it and I wanted the bar to be made out of one piece. Here some photos of the pipe bender I used, its simple so you could build one on the quick probably for a lot less than the price of the original dice for you machine. Yeah the dice it self its made out of aluminium.
Sorry the die diameter is 86 mm.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: StanG

Last edit: by Daro.

Passenger grab bar 5 years 4 months ago #22267

• StanG
  • StanG's Avatar Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248
As the grab bar topic came up again, I am soaking in all the new info :)
Are these tools expensive? I see some benders online for local stores but nothing as simple as the one you have Daro. I dig the one you have the best - seems very straight forward and functional.
It would be good to give it a shot. I think I'd make one first from a copper pipe to practice, and still would need to educate myself about proper technique. I see you have some reference marks there, I supposed they are for symmetry, right? Would you have any tips?

Time to create page: 0.093 seconds