Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

In frame engine painting 6 years 4 months ago #18170

• whistlers mother
  • whistlers mother's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 3
Thanks for the reply Scotch . New to the forum and very new to the Big Zed . My other bikes a Triumph Rocket so I got 3600ccs in my garage hence no space really to take engine out . Ive bought the bike as a winter renovation project . It’s in pretty good condition of a 79 bike , imported from North America to here in Uk . Back to the engine . It’s pretty good with just a few bits of paint flaking off so you’re correct it’s really just a touch up job which is why I can’t justify taking the engine out , I just want to do the best job I can and although I’m a toolmaker engineer and had bikes for 40 years this is my first attempt at doing a bike up . To be fair I won’t even attempt any aerosol spraying whilst it’s so cold and got so many other jobs to do anyway . You guys on this forum are a wealth of knowledge and your enthusiasm knows no bounds . Thanks , Mark
The following user(s) said Thank You: scotch

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

In frame engine painting 6 years 4 months ago #18196

• Dion
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 42
I must confess to being of the same opinion as Scotch
i have never been a fan of people who half do stuff
do it right or leave it alone
i worked for a motorcycle wrecker/importer when young and we used to touch up the bikes we bought in, and even alloy polish parts but we always pulled the engine out if it was bad enough to need extensive finishing
over the years it has really peed me off helping friends fix their bikes due to some one doing half ass cover up jobs
if you dont get it right you will most surely regret it down the road (so to speak)
if you get a paint that will self etch to the alloy you can put it in a air brush and spray those flaked areas.
Dion

In frame engine painting 6 years 4 months ago #18197

• biltonjim
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 242
i bought a new Yamaha XS Eleven in June 1978. I've written about it before, but I'll say again : what a fabulous machine! It featured an astounding engine; superb self cancelling signals and silky smooth switch gear; twin bulb tail light; nice rubber boots covering the clutch and brake lever pivots, and other nice touches which have now slipped my mind. BUT ..... the paint finish on the frame and fittings was so thin and poorly applied that within months rust was appearing, mostly around welds and sharp edges. After the first winter of ownership, the bike's frame looked quite shabby in many areas, so in the following April, I decided to fix the problem. I stripped the bike down ( engine out ) and had the frame powder coated, though for some crazy reason I spray gun painted the swing arm and other fittings with Viton enamel - beautiful finish but not as tough as the powder coat. The factory black engine did not need any attention - it looked great.
I've gone a long way about reaching my point, but I agree with Scotch and Dion : Do it right, do it once.
Attachments:

In frame engine painting 6 years 4 months ago #18198

• whistlers mother
  • whistlers mother's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 3
Thanks for the sound advice lads . It’s really just a touch up job needed as most of the engine looks like new but of course I’ll probably not match the colour if I attempt only small bits . I’ll probably take the advice given and take the engine out

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.112 seconds