Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Body decals dilemma 6 years 7 months ago #17332

• scotch
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 832
bucko wrote: < One more thing to consider is that in British Columbia, if the bike is restored to stock condition, you can apply for a 'collector' plate (if you meet certain other conditions) which reduces your insurance premiums considerably. >

I applied for a "Collector Plate" 3 yrs ago. The first application was denied due to the fact the bike had no ""Badging" on the tank or side-covers. I applied a "1300" decal on the side covers and a plastic "KAWASAKI" to the tank sides and was approved. Era correct parts are allowed, such as a DG header, different bars, "similar mirrors, etc. This included my paint scheme and nickel plated frame, which was not questioned. All other decals had long since been removed.
The criteria is determined on a bike to bike basis and is based on four photos 1 each from the front. rear, left and right sides. The collector plate allows for daily "pleasure" use only - not to and from work.
An Antique Plate is more stringent for details and only allows the bike to be ridden to and from " show events".
1980 KZ 1300 sr# KZT30A-009997
Always High - Know Fear !

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by scotch.

Body decals dilemma 6 years 7 months ago #17333

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1029
Now I'm wondering if there's a "Collector Plate" available in Ontario. I have a Silver Wheels insurance policy on the '85 Porsche and it only costs me $185 a year for insurance. I can drive it anywhere I want any time I want and the only prerequisite is that it can't be a daily driver.

Body decals dilemma 6 years 7 months ago #17334

• StanG
  • StanG's Avatar Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248
Great point everyone! I am still split on what to do.. It's a trade off one way or the other.

My bike was visually perfect in my opinion, when left to rust. Pretty much everything has to be painted or chromed, while some stickers are in place and in a great shape! I feel like it's a waste to peel them off. I could save those on painted surfaces, but whatever has to be chromed must be decal free. Front fender is all original in a great shape, but the rest must be repainted and there are also parts missing, which when I find them will come in different colors so I will have to paint them as well.

Overall, I will be trying to keep the bike as close to original as I can. But my aim is not to make it into a 100% original restoration. I am thinking about adding some extra shine here and there. The bike is not for sale, I will be keeping it! With the availability of printed decals, in case I would be selling it in the far future, I guess I'd just get a set of freshly printed decals and keep them in a drawer for now. My aim right now is to bring it back to life and have a clean, solid, looking shiny bike to enjoy and be proud of.

Yes, I don't like these decals.. There is even a big one on the tachometer about breaking the engine in! Just an eyesore. It looks like operational instructions on some industrial machine all over the bike.

I think I will keep the bike as close to stock as I can, repaint it to my liking, and keep those stickers which can be saved and are not an eyesore,

My GL1100 has collector plates. I think the main limitation is travel to and from school or work. Other than that, I haven't seen anything about not using it any day of the week whenever you want, as long as it is for pleasure. And that's also touring or riding around town for a coffee or to a gym. They asked for 4 sides photo in BC. The bike can have some new parts as long as they are in line with the original style and shape. It's good to slap on the bike all the stickers for the photo shoot, but then nobody will analyze if a silly sign is missing.

BY the way. One idea I am playing with is painting the engine black. I think black would nicely complement the chrome and silver accents. What do you guys think about this color scheme? Were there any KZ1300 painted black, like other Z series?

Body decals dilemma 6 years 7 months ago #17336

• BigSix
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 224
Hey guys, you mentioned the collector plate. No idea on my side what it precisely is, though I have my thoughts. Thanks for a heads-up, I've been wondering what regulations are in place for older or rare bikes in various countries.

Holger
Z1300 A1/ KZT30AG built 1979
frame KZT30A 004285
engine KZT30A 000288
location: borderland-triangle France/ Germany/ Switzerland, Europe

Body decals dilemma 6 years 7 months ago #17339

• Tonto
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 133
Stan, ive seen a couple of Z13 resto's in the UK with black engine or blocks - looked nice and suited the bike - I think with the right ammount of "shiny" to complimernt it it looks very good. I think my fave ever Z13, was one posted on this forum a few years ago (guy from Canada, but forgotten his name) - it had a black engine finish - truly stunning bike.

If this ever this comes up for sale I am selling a Kidney !

Cheers Tim
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without the loss of enthusiasm " Winston Churchill.
Attachments:

Body decals dilemma 6 years 7 months ago #17340

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1029

Tonto wrote: Stan, ive seen a couple of Z13 resto's in the UK with black engine or blocks - looked nice and suited the bike - I think with the right ammount of "shiny" to complimernt it it looks very good. I think my fave ever Z13, was one posted on this forum a few years ago (guy from Canada, but forgotten his name) - it had a black engine finish - truly stunning bike.

If this ever this comes up for sale I am selling a Kidney !

Cheers Tim

That baby belongs to Robert Bolduc who posts as a member under the handle 137RT. I bow to the east everytime I see a pic of that bike. WOW !! Hard to believe I'm out of words to express my admiration for his build.

Time to create page: 0.092 seconds