Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Frame paint 10 years 4 months ago #877

• RickG
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 95
One thing to be wary of when using a powder coating is that (this applies more to air cooled engines than water cooled but is still quite relevant) the coating is a plastic and a fairly good insulator of heat.
Even though the sixers are water cooled there is still a considerable amount of heat disipated through the engine cases and covers(usually around 15%)and this is cut by a large degree by the powder coating. These bikes have at best a marginal cooling system which should not really be compromised in any way. Under the conditiond most of us ride in every day there would not be an issue but in extreme circumstances they could overheat very easily and this would be made worse by the powder coatings on the engines.
Quite a few customers in years past did a lot of powder coating on the air cooled CB750 Hondas and Z900 Kawasakis and cooked them in what I would call only marginal circumstances so it is always worth considering the temperature increase that can occur because of the powder coating.
Live your life so that the Westbro Baptist Church will want to picket your funeral
Z1300 A1 x 2

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Frame paint 10 years 3 months ago #1037

• Roadhazardguy
  • Thank you received: 1
I like using gloss black rustolem thinned with acetone and then i add enamel hardener to it. Always use a primer first if you want it to last but the hardener is what makes the paint 100x better.

Frame Paint 10 years 3 months ago #1236

• BillD
  • Thank you received: 1
any rec on frame paint, I want to touch up sections of the frame, any suggestions ?

Frame Paint 10 years 3 months ago #1277

• strate6
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • On An Adventure Before Dementia ! !
  • Thank you received: 356
Bill D

To be honest most good quality Gloss Black Spray or paint on products should be ok for the frame as it does not really get hot.

I use Gloss Black Hammerite (smooth type) as it goes on real thick, gives a really good finish & lasts for years. You DONT need a primer with Hammerite either.

Pete F
Why Have Four When You Can Have Six ?

Frame Paint 10 years 3 months ago #1322

• eddie.river
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I used Simoniz Tough Black on my frame. One coat does it, with a high gloss finish. It dries to the touch quickly too.

Frame Paint 10 years 3 months ago #1325

• strate6
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • On An Adventure Before Dementia ! !
  • Thank you received: 356
Eddie,

Agreed, Its great stuff.

I painted all my calipers & master cylinders with the Satin Black & it looks as good as factory finish.

Pete F
Why Have Four When You Can Have Six ?

Time to create page: 0.092 seconds