Engine question, what do you think????? 9 years 11 months ago #3442

• Torque59
  • Torque59's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • POTEST ALITER SUBVENIRI NON POTEST PRO CUBICUS
  • Thank you received: 13
Hello again all,
I am after some opinions with respect to the engine on my A4.
I am currently restoring the bike and have the engine out as part of this process.

When I was cleaning the engine up so I could paint it with high temp silver paint when I noticed a previous owner had run a thick bead of silicon sealant along the base gasket joint between the bottom of the barrel and crankcase, between numbers 3 and 4 cylinder.

This makes me suspect a possible oil/water weep/leak may have occurred at this point. However there is no real evidence to support this ie oil/water residue etc. But the nagging question still remains , why was the silicon there in the first place.

My dilemma is, do I leave things alone and put the engine back in the frame only to find that it does weep oil/water from the base gasket or do I pull it apart and replace the base gasket as a matter of course. Bearing in mind that this would necessitate a quick hone and new rings (if not worn excessively)etc.

The bike has only done 18000km, and upon inspection of the cam chain idler gear (which is in near perfect condition) I believe this to be right.

Opinions / thoughts appreciated.
Restored an 1976 Suzuki GT550B
Restored an 1982 Kawasaki Z1300 A4.
Also rides a 2014 Triumph Rocket Roadster, 2300cc of pure fun.

POTEST ALITER SUBVENIRI NON POTEST PRO CUBICUS

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Torque59.

Engine question, what do you think????? 9 years 11 months ago #3444

• strate6
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • On An Adventure Before Dementia ! !
  • Thank you received: 356
Hi,

I personally would not strip the whole bike just because of that.
Its a big job & costly, & may not be necessary.

What I would do is check the cylinder head/block studs to make sure they are at the correct tightness (refer to manual).
It is common for bikes to weep a little oil from the base gasket if the studs are not fully tightened.
The base gasket (as with most engines) is designed to absorb oil & expand to make an oil tight seal. As your bike has had low useage, they can dry out & leak when first ran.

Also, its common for the 1300 to leak a little rusty water now & then from the water pump seal leak hole at the base of the cylinder block inbetween cylinders 3 + 4. This water then runs down the front of the block when left on the side stand & can be mistaken for an oil leak. I have seen owners not aware of the leak hole "think" they have a problem & try to stop it with silicon or other sealant..........YOU MAY HAVE THIS ISSUE ??

Hope that helps ?

Pete F
UK
Why Have Four When You Can Have Six ?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Torque59

Engine question, what do you think????? 9 years 11 months ago #3445

• Torque59
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Thanks Pete, I appreciate your input. I had not considered the water pump seal leaking with the result you describe.

Ironically I will be replacing the water pump oil seal and impeller seal before putting the engine back in the frame. Easier to do out of the frame than in.

Engine question, what do you think????? 9 years 11 months ago #3446

• Torque59
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Thanks Pete, I appreciate your input. I had not considered the water pump seal leaking with the result you describe.

Ironically I will be replacing the water pump oil seal and impeller seal before putting the engine back in the frame. Easier to do out of the frame than in.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.092 seconds