TOPIC:

Shift kit for KZ's. 10 years 11 hours ago #3258

• Mikez
  • Mikez's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 14
Hi everyone!

I'd like to see if anyone here has had any firsthand experience with using shift kits (upgraded detent springs) for our bikes.

I first learned about shift kits when 2nd gear blew out on a Katana that I owned. I learned that if I had used a kit I might have been able to prevent myself from having to tear apart my motor to replace those gears. The shift kits for those bikes are widely regarded in the forums for those bikes as a neccessary item to prevent any transmission wear and people swear by them there :).

I'm aware that the gearboxes for our bikes are pretty robust as-is, but I wanted to look into this as an upgrade for our bikes more as a preventative measure helping to prolong the lifetime of our gearboxes. Especially if they've seen some abuse over the years and prior owners!

I haven't seen anyone here mention it at this point but I'm strongly considering getting it since it's cheap. If someone has gotten an upgraded detent spring please chime in and let me know what your experience with it was like :). Thanks everyone!

Here's a link to one reputable source for the springs and the description they have for it:
www.factorypro.com/prod_pages/prodkKZ650,750,1000p.html

"F-Pro Shift Detent Spring

Better than new.
Crispens up shifting and helps prevent missed shifts and gear and fork damage caused by missed shifts.

Custom wound, heat treated, slightly stronger detent spring for more secure shifting.

We didn't have these when we were racing - they would have helped save a few gearboxes.

fits
H1 Mach III
H2 Mach IV
also
KZ400
KZ440
KZ550
KZ650
KZ750
KZ1300

replaces kaw item 92081-112
oal 1.400" (same oal as stock)
F-Pr wire thickness is appropriately increased for better shifting."

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Mikez.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.053 seconds