TOPIC:

Cylinders four and six 1 year 6 months ago #30760

• paulb
  • paulb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 19
Hi Gents
i am having issues with cylinders four and six, is there anything common that could affect both i know coils and carbs are not feeding both but i am wondering pick up coils or cdi
for some reason these two are reluctant to fire consistantly, on sunday it suddenly started running perfectly on six so had a brilliant drive home but the next two days went to start it and both plugs on these cylinders are wet, if it was carb adjustment i cannot work out why it would run great and then just go out of adjustment, i have tried swapping the plugs around but to no avail, i realise i havent given a lot to go on but i am hoping something obvious comes to mind
many thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Cylinders four and six 1 year 6 months ago #30761

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1029
Last I remember, you were going to check the valve timing and see if the camshaft chain jumped. No post regarding that.
You also were going to check the HT leads for leakage. No report.
So please Update us on these 2 issues.
Wasted Spark Basics- 
In order to reduce component costs and simplify the ignition system. Cylinders that are on compression and valve overlap are married together. In the KZ1300,
Cylinders #1& #6 They share a common ignition coil, a common pulser coil and a common Darlington transistor in the igniter to open and close the primary ignition circuit.
Cylinders #2 & #5 share a common ignition coil, pulser coil and a common Darlington Transistor in the igniter
Cylinders #3 & #4 are paired together and share a common ignition coil, pulser coil and Darlington transistor.

So there is no commonality between #4 & #6 Whatever is happening in these 2 cylinders is unique to each cylinder.
I suspect either the sparkplugs are internally shorted or 
The HT ignition wires are leaking to ground. It is possible to have shorts in the secondary wires or plugs and still have spark available to the opposite plug on the same coil.

There have been several reports of defective sparkplugs all of which are coming out of CHINA and are imitations of brand names. There are several YouTube videos showing the minor differences between the FAKE PLUGS and the brand named plugs . BEWARE!! Now that being said, I would throw in a fresh set of spark plugs and see what happens first.
Second- Check the HT secondary wires for leaking. Strange that you struggled trying to get it to run, then after sitting for a few days?? it fires up and runs like a charm, then messes up again?? Moisture or humidity related??
Finally- Have you performed a compression check on the cylinders?? And if you do check and find #4 and #6 low it may be because the cylinders have been washed down from the raw gas. So before you condemn those 2 cylinders squirt a tablespoon of oil down the spark plug holes, flip the engine over 10 revolutions or so, then do the compression test again.

Last edit: by Kawboy.

Cylinders four and six 1 year 6 months ago #30762

• paulb
  • paulb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 19
Thanks for the reply Kawboy, i have checked the valve timing and done a compression check and both appear fine , i have swapped the plugs around and also installed a fresh set of plugs from a reputable dealer, i have dyna coils and taylor leads unfortunately i couldnt swap the ht leads around and still get all six connected so have ordered some more ht leads but i will work through your recommendations, once again thank you for your help

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.067 seconds