• Page:

TOPIC:

Modification of the OEM CCT 2 years 6 months ago #29703

• scotch
  • scotch's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 830
Always lots of chatter about this and options.  I chose to modify my OEM CCT and will continue to use it with the top-end rebuild.  
I added the "bolt" many years ago and at that time the "plastic" sprocket was worn down to about 1/2 it's diameter.  The "roller" was good !
Adding a threaded insert keeps the Shaft from retracting fully; not allowing the small 10mm bolt to hold the shaft in the retracted position.    Not a big deal:  Just used a slightly longer 10mm bolt and when installed the longer bolt is removed and the short original reinstalled. 
However: Now with full diameter roller and sprocket (plus the insert); the shaft may not retract enough to allow the CCT to be installed.  The full diameter of the roller and sprocket effectively shorten the chain relative to the CCT.  The CCT will be more vertical - The shaft must retract more.  The "spacer" if required, will deal with this.  The "Thumb-nut" on the back-up bolt was very deliberate.  "Finger" adjusting !!!!      If you choose to use a wrench to adjust (tighten) your CCT tension; Your going to quickly and eventually "F" up your plastic and rubber  "spinning" parts !   

Hope these makes sense.

1980 KZ 1300 sr# KZT30A-009997
Always High - Know Fear !
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: biltonjim

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by scotch.

Modification of the OEM CCT 2 years 6 months ago #29704

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1027
The Devil's advocate here  Just trying to get my head wrapped around the effect the spacer has on the preload of the spring.

Modification of the OEM CCT 2 years 6 months ago #29705

• scotch
  • scotch's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 830
The Devil's advocate here  Just trying to get my head wrapped around the effect the spacer has on the preload of the spring.

Fair Question !    With the plunger retracted more fully due to the full diameter of the roller and sprocket  (As opposed to a longer extension due to the worn parts - It is doubtful the spring pressure will be different - given the O/A length of the spring.  The spring pressure may even be higher then prior to tear-down because it is compressed more.  I measured the OEM spring pressure at 3/4 compressed length  ( The length I estimate it will be now)  and it was 750 grams.

1980 KZ 1300 sr# KZT30A-009997
Always High - Know Fear !

Modification of the OEM CCT 2 years 6 months ago #29706

• biltonjim
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 240
The ebay item id given is invalid, no result has been sentNo eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationI think I shall take the option of using the ZX11 tensioner, which is a reliable automatic type, but do as Stiggy did. He obtained an alternative spring of comparable strength to the original and used that in the ZX11 tensioner. Presumably he’s had no issues with it.
Here, I believe, is the spring he used.

:

I can’t work out how to post the link, but it is easy to find:

5.63mm diameter,  0.63mm wire size, R2.77 stainless steel. Length  - not sure what’s needed.

Last edit: by biltonjim.

Modification of the OEM CCT 2 years 6 months ago #29731

• dcarver220b
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 181
Why not use the APE manual tensioner?

Modification of the OEM CCT 2 years 6 months ago #29735

• Bucko
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 164

Why not use the APE manual tensioner?

I don't have a dog in this fight
but the concern I have about manual tensioner options is never really being confident of how much to screw them in.
Hello from Canada's We(s)t coast.

Last edit: by Bucko.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.137 seconds