• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 72
If you have ever owned a Suzuki GS1000 they came with a clutch rattle built in

:huh:
Z1300 A4 ZG1300 DFI X2
Z1261J GS1000S
Vmax1200 XT500

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Engine Noise 10 years 3 weeks ago #2851

• Tonto
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 133
Rick, Pete: thanks for your advice: my next job is a carb sync, so hopefully I will see an improvement.

Rick: yes, when I pull clutch in the noise reduces - I just assumed that was a bad sign, and I was looking at more pain and expense ???

Oh, also I am fitting a Pingel Fuel Tap, as when I use the one on the bike I am not sure which is going to snap first: the tap, or my bloody thumb ! :ohmy:
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without the loss of enthusiasm " Winston Churchill.

Engine Noise 10 years 3 weeks ago #2852

• strate6
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • On An Adventure Before Dementia ! !
  • Thank you received: 356
Even if syncing your carbs does not quieten the clutch rattle down.....it will never be as bad as most Ducati's with dry clutches !!!

They sound like a tractor dragging empty beer cans down the road !! :ohmy: :S :woohoo: :unsure:

First time I heard one, I told the bloke to turn it off & call a recovery truck !

Pete F
Why Have Four When You Can Have Six ?

Engine Noise 10 years 3 weeks ago #2854

• Tonto
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 133
Pete, yes I forgot how bad the Ducati clutch was: when I sold my 1198 still under warranty), the buyer got in touch with me to see if he should take it into a Dealer to have the clutch fixed !! He asked was it normal that it sounded like a Donkey braying :lol:
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without the loss of enthusiasm " Winston Churchill.

Engine Noise 10 years 3 weeks ago #2855

• Mikez
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 14
It might be that my clutch was out of adjustment, but I had to put new springs and friction rings in my clutch last year due to clutch slippage and my bike is only at 20k miles. It got to the point that I could engage the clutch and sit there not even moving.

Engine Noise 10 years 3 weeks ago #2859

• Toddh
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 65
Being that we are talking about engine noise and clutches:

When replacing a clutch, most just install rotors and stators, with springs.

Actually there are several important inspections that should be done to the shaft, bearings, and clutch hub. (Basket)

The clutch hub (On this heavy beast) is prone to notching. Thereby preventing the clutch to freely move back and forth. I have noticed this more on the 1300 than on any other period KZ. Assuming it is attributed to the weight of the bike.

Also the needle bearing can encounter wear and damage, underneath the clutch hub.

The KZ manual provides a thorough inspection process with diagrams on how to properly overhaul the clutch.

Like others mention above, clutches can be a source of a lot of engine noise. The KZ clutch should be almost silent in its operation.

Another good way to detect where noises are coming from is having a stethoscope in your tool box. It's inexpensive and provides an effective way to locating the source for offending noises.

Regards.

T.
KZ1300 A-4 4TH 1300 IN 30 YEARS
KZ1000 D-3/ Z1R
ZX900 GPZ A-3
KZ750 E-1
K1200GT
CB750F 1978

Time to create page: 0.224 seconds