• Page:

TOPIC:

Cam skipped tooth? 3 years 9 months ago #27422

• Bucko
  • Bucko's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 164
Buddy asked be to come over and look at his 1300. He had the carbs off (to clean them) then when he put them back on and started the bike it ran for a bit then he heard a snap or ?? (going by his description). He says now it won't idle but seem to run fine off-idle and he thinks a tensioner shoe has broken. First thing I asked him is if the cam chain tensioner assembly was ever updated - he didn't think so. Would it be possible for the cam chain to skip a tooth and the motor still run? I'm not going to have time to pull the valve cover but wondering if it's advisable to do a compression test with possible cam time issues - after all, he has been running the motor.
Hello from Canada's We(s)t coast.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Bucko.

Cam skipped tooth? 3 years 9 months ago #27423

• strate6
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • On An Adventure Before Dementia ! !
  • Thank you received: 356
If the chain has jumped a tooth on the cams, then it will still run in a fashion, but obviously be out of sync.
I would not run the motor anymore until you check it as may already have valve damage.

Pete F
UK
Why Have Four When You Can Have Six ?

Cam skipped tooth? 3 years 9 months ago #27424

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1029
The only thing that's suppose to go "snap, crackle, pop" is Rice Crispies when you pour milk on it. Everything else- it's a problem. I wouldn't even turn the engine over on the starter until the cam timing and all things involved with the tensioner have been checked out. The nylon toothed tensioner sprocket may have split and a piece broke off. The rubber tensioner wheel may have lost a chunk. I doubt that a nylon guides have broke but never say never. After checking all of those things visually only then would I attempt to turn over the engine, first by wrench and if there's no mechanical blockage, attempt to do a compression check to see if a valve got bent.

Never ceases to amaze me, of all the possible problems associated with the KZ1300, the cam chain tensioner is #1 followed by Carb low speed circuit blockage as #2 followed by overheating stators because of shunt regulators as #3. If you own one of these bikes, you need to do the modifications to the tensioner and voltage regulator and pay some sort of attention to you fuel and manage that as you see fit. Then enjoy the ride.
The following user(s) said Thank You: KZQ, scotch, Tonto, McBoney

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.077 seconds