Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Switzerland models power restriction 3 years 10 months ago #27190

• strate6
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • On An Adventure Before Dementia ! !
  • Thank you received: 356
Kawboy................the bike doesnt have carbs..............it a DFI !!

Pete F
UK
Why Have Four When You Can Have Six ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Switzerland models power restriction 3 years 10 months ago #27193

• Phil
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • 1984 ZG1300-A1 DFI
  • Thank you received: 144
Fuel injection alone doesn't add power, the ZG1300s had different cams with longer duration to achieve the extra 10 bhp, at the expense of a little mid range. The ZN1300 Voyagers, with the same fuel injection system was actually detuned slightly for touring duties with different cams again, to produce 117 bhp at a slightly lower rpm but with a fatter midrange.
Only dead fish go with the flow

Switzerland models power restriction 3 years 10 months ago #27194

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1029

strate6 wrote: Kawboy................the bike doesnt have carbs..............it a DFI !!

Pete F
UK

You are correct and I knew that at the time of writing. I had thought that I should have said " restrictor plate between the carbs and intake OR Throttle bodies and intakes but figured everyone would get the drift. My BAD !!!!!!!

Switzerland models power restriction 3 years 10 months ago #27195

• strate6
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • On An Adventure Before Dementia ! !
  • Thank you received: 356
DFI Models have different valves to the Carb models too.
I think they are slightly longer and wider.

Pete F
UK
Why Have Four When You Can Have Six ?

Switzerland models power restriction 3 years 10 months ago #27203

• Bucko
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 164

norokstar wrote: I have been through the part numbers for both the Swiss and UK models for that year, and I can't find any differences whatsoever- cams, inlet rubbers, air filter, CDI, throttle bodies, injectors, all the same.!

The logical place to reduce HP output on a FI bike would be in the ECU. Is the ECU the same as a non Swiss unit?
Hello from Canada's We(s)t coast.

Last edit: by Bucko.

Switzerland models power restriction 3 years 10 months ago #27216

• norokstar
  • norokstar's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1
Hello everyone,

Apologies for the delay in replying to you all- I work offshore and sometimes the internet is a bit sketchy!

Anyway, all thoughts appreciated, here is my reply...…

I've had the exhausts off to clean them, there's nothing obvious there, and the part numbers for the downpipes and collector silencers are the same as the UK bike
The inlet manifolds have nothing quoted on the drawings different from the UK bikes, but I haven't had a really close look- it possible those sneaky Swiss slipped something in there!
The ECU has the same part number as the UK bike- I wouldn't have thought the technology was there in the 80's for dealers to reprogram them
The throttle stop one is an interesting thought... I haven't looked closely at that in the flesh, and there's nothing different in the drawings for the UK & Swiss bikes, but it would be a simple thing for the dealer to do 'back in the day' to restrict the bike.
The cam profiles etc are certainly different on the DFI bikes from the carb ones, but this is more to do with getting the best out of the DFI system - and the voyager ones are different again, but more to make the motor characteristics better suited to touring. Cams for the Swiss and UK DFI bikes have the same part numbers (can you see a theme here?!!)
Finally (I think I've covered everything..) Kawasaki UK customer helpline claim that they can't find out what was done to the Swiss bikes to make them comply- that I cannot believe, and think it's more like they cannot be bothered finding out, but maybe I'm just being cynical.
Maybe if someone knows an 'old school' Kawasaki dealer in or near Switzerland, they could drop in on them and ask the question- only if you were passing of course!

Thanks again everyone, the mystery continues.

Cheers,

Stu

Time to create page: 0.103 seconds