TOPIC:

Rattle 4 years 2 months ago #25940

• z1300blue
  • z1300blue's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1
I'm going to try and figure out how to send video
Neil
Edinburgh

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Rattle 4 years 2 months ago #25941

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248
Something's loose? Might be cam chain tensioner related. Tensioner too loose, the sprocket bearing shot, the sprocket worn with and chain loose, the rubber wheel of the tensioner guide's bearing shot, loose, too much clearance on some of the valves? Buy a mechanics stethoscope and try to find the source.
And best, post a video/sound clip.

Rattle 4 years 2 months ago #25942

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1029
Personally, I wouldn't fire it up until you've found and fixed the rattle. anything that makes a rattle is surely bound to be ready to explode. If the camshaft drive chain is loose enough to rattle, it's loose enough to jump a tooth and bend a valve.

I would stop right now and pull the valve cover and have a really good look at the cam chain, tensioner sprocket AND the black idler wheel below the tensioner sprocket.

The sprocket should have teeth on it. When things get really bad, the teeth disappear.
The idler wheel should be round and appear to be a rubber wheel- They been known to split and drop a segment leaving a flat spot.

AND if you're not sure, Posts some pics of what you can see.

Rattle 4 years 2 months ago #25943

• z1300blue
Hi all
Had the bike in Zed parts UK a few years back getting some minor work done. it wasn't starting they did manage to get it started eventually and the next thing to deal with was the rattle, however as I already owed them £1750 for the work done so far I couldn't afford anymore so had to get the bike back. and so the Z has sat in the garage ever since. they sent me a video of the bike starting and of course the rattle could be heard in the video. { for the record the rattle was there before I put it into ZP } they did check a few things regards the rattle [ without obviously stripping the engine ] but still had no idea where it was coming from. Will have to gather up the Emails and any pictures they sent. [ I probably should have done this before starting the post ] I now want to get the bike up and running again as I have more time. she's a good looking old thing as to date I've spent thousands on her.
Neil.

Rattle 4 years 2 months ago #25944

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248
Sounds like it would need more things done to start her up and hear that rattle, after sitting for years as I understand.
There are rattles when you cold start the engine, and they go away when the engine warms up. Most noticeable would be related to the cam chain tensioner adjustment. If the bike would run, and it did run, then I wouldn't worry starting it up to investigate. If you start blindly taking it apart you might end up chasing a goose. I'd say it should be safe for quick troubleshooting - not riding! If it's been sitting for years, I imagine you need to look at carbs etc. before flipping the switch. In such case, I would remove the top cover and have a peak inside at the sprocket, chain. And check the valves and shims - if all are in place and within specs.

You sad rattle at the top section, right? But sometimes our sense can be misleading. That's why I suggested a stethoscope. Sometimes the primary chain hits the crank case if stretch too much. If so, that would require taking the whole engine apart. Best way to inspect this is to remove the oil pan and measure the slack.

Another could be bolts behind the starter clutch loose and hitting something. That can also be mistaken as top end noise.

Now, the semantics. Is it a rattle or ticking? If the running engine shakes like hell trying to spill its guts then shut it down! If it ticks, investigate.

Like I sad. I'd open the top and have a look inside.

Rattle 4 years 2 months ago #25945

• z1300blue

She still looks like this.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: zed_thirteen

Time to create page: 0.104 seconds