Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Six Cylinder Kawasaki Z1 4 years 2 months ago #25858

• rdurost
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 26
MILLYARD IS A FUCKING GENIUS! Why doesn't some factory set him up with a full machine shop and just let him go? He is the DaVinci of our times!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by rdurost.

Six Cylinder Kawasaki Z1 4 years 2 months ago #25859

• Tonto
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 133
Admired his skills for many years, met him a couple of times - simply cant believe what he makes in that shed !
I recall he built a replica honda 6 (RC 166 - Mike Hailwood tribute bike) and all he had to work from were some drawings used in scale modelling - if you've a couple of minutes check out the link - the bloke is a genius.
www.motorcyclenews.com/news/2018/may/all...ard-honda-six-rc374/
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without the loss of enthusiasm " Winston Churchill.

Six Cylinder Kawasaki Z1 4 years 2 months ago #25862

• rdurost
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 26
I'm envious that you actually got to meet him! When it comes to mechanical genius, I can only compare him to Smokey Yunick.

Seriously, why do you suppose he works alone in a small shed? Does he still have a "day job?"

Richard

Six Cylinder Kawasaki Z1 4 years 2 months ago #25864

• BigSix
  • BigSix's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 224
Quote from the link that Tonto posted:
"I had to make the crankshaft from scratch. I wanted to go back to the classic way of making things with needle roller bearings and wrought iron crank webs, with no real flywheel mass. Just working it out, getting it to fit back in and feeding the oil right was difficult.

"The second hardest bit was the fairing. I’ve never made an alloy fairing before. I beat it all out by hand the old-fashioned way."

Well, we all know that this can really occupy your Saturday afternoon ... Incredible. I love what he does.
Holger
Z1300 A1/ KZT30AG built 1979
frame KZT30A 004285
engine KZT30A 000288
location: borderland-triangle France/ Germany/ Switzerland, Europe

Six Cylinder Kawasaki Z1 4 years 2 months ago #25865

• stocktoy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 91

rdurost wrote: I'm envious that you actually got to meet him! When it comes to mechanical genius, I can only compare him to Smokey Yunick.

Seriously, why do you suppose he works alone in a small shed? Does he still have a "day job?"

Richard

Wow Smokey Yunick there's a name I haven't heard in years used to think he was a god for what he was able to accomplish "Best damn garage in town"

Six Cylinder Kawasaki Z1 4 years 2 months ago #25866

• Tonto
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 133

rdurost wrote: I'm envious that you actually got to meet him! When it comes to mechanical genius, I can only compare him to Smokey Yunick.

Richard

He's been to Stafford show (biggest classic show in the UK) a few times; originally just as a guy showing his bikes, then last October as the "Guest of Honour"
He said he was still working from and making his creations in his home garage / workshop: simply amazing when you see his work close up.
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without the loss of enthusiasm " Winston Churchill.

Time to create page: 0.089 seconds