Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

difference between carb and injection engines. 4 years 6 months ago #25157

• ogri211
  • ogri211's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 8
Ive just started to work on my 13 which I got from a friend as a project , it had been off the road for about 20 years. about 25 years ago he got a replacement engine from D and K, and knew it was a later one., I thought it was a late carb model, but looking at all the parts it appears to be an injection mode,l though it was fitted with carbs, as it has the later casings with the filler at the left side. I checked the engine number with CMSL and the numbers just continued from the carb models, mine is about 2000 after they started KZT30AE 019*** . My question is is there any differences I would need to look out for when building the engine or is it generally the same.
Z1300 A4,Z900 RS,Suzuki GT750A, Buell S1 Lightning, Royal Enfield Diesel. And Z900A4 on the rebuild.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

difference between carb and injection engines. 4 years 6 months ago #25164

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1029
I left this one alone thinking Stan would answer but since no one's had a go at this I will.
For the most part they are the same. Some subtle differences in the transmission gears and the final drive gears. The camshaft durations are slightly different. The ignition is mechanical advance on the carb models and electronic on the fuel injected. Charging circuit is one alternator with one rectifier/ regulator on the carb model and 2 alternators with a master and slave rectifier/ regulator on the fuel injected.
It will take some work to pull it all together but understanding the differences is definitely a good place to start.
Good luck with your project and keep us posted.

KB

Last edit: by Kawboy.

difference between carb and injection engines. 4 years 6 months ago #25169

• ogri211
I forgot to mention the bike was running for a few years with the injection engine with the carbs fitted , so I will just be taking the top end off to inspect it, it only has one alternator fitted on the right hand side, the only job that definately needs done is the small chain that drives the water pump has snapped, but I will be doing the valves and shims while I have the head off.
Z1300 A4,Z900 RS,Suzuki GT750A, Buell S1 Lightning, Royal Enfield Diesel. And Z900A4 on the rebuild.

difference between carb and injection engines. 4 years 6 months ago #25170

• ogri211
Looking at the service manual it would appear that the twin alternator was only fitted to the US Canada models after 1982 which was still the carb models.

difference between carb and injection engines. 4 years 5 months ago #25264

• Rage10
  • Thank you received: 3
How do master/slave regulator/rectifiers interact with each other? I've considered replacing them with the SH847 or SH755 types but how would that work with two of them?
Also, I know the stators have different amperage outputs. What's the rating for each one?

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.072 seconds