TOPIC:

Valve adjustment 4 years 9 months ago #24628

• Bucko
  • Bucko's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 164
Just checked my valve clearance.

All of the exhaust valves were too tight and had to be changed. I went down two shim sizes on all exhaust valves except one as I could only go down one size on that particular valve with the shims I had on hand - could have used a 2.45. Also changed 5 of 6 intake shims mostly to get them more into the middle of the range, only a couple were actually too tight. I would have changed the 6th one (it was on the tight end of the range) as well but again, I didn't have the proper replacement - could have used another 2.45. (as luck would have it 2.45 is the only size I don't have in my shim collection)

None of this was really surprising as the last time I checked, all clearances measured within the range but they were all right at the tight end.

Had a bit of fun with the #4 exhaust valve when the bucket hold down tool ejected at warp speed with no shim in place.
Hello from Canada's We(s)t coast.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Valve adjustment 4 years 9 months ago #24630

• Frank833
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 89
How many miles/kms between last check and this one?

Ever changed the valve springs?

We change springs in our race cars about every 1-2 hours (not including idle/warm up), and can tell the difference.

So I’ve gotten in the habit of changing them in anything that gets torn down far enough.

Not that street springs are stressed anywhere near the same, but we are talking about 8,000 rpm motors.

Valve adjustment 4 years 9 months ago #24633

• Bucko
  • Bucko's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 164
Last check was approximately 3k miles ago. Wouldn't dream of changing the springs on this motor, there's only about 15k miles on it. I'm a huge proponent of not fixing things that aren't broken. :)
Hello from Canada's We(s)t coast.

Last edit: by Bucko.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 1.157 seconds