Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

"Running-in after rebore" 10 years 2 months ago #1910

• Dinosaur
  • Dinosaur's Avatar Topic Author
  • Loving them for 35years.
  • Thank you received: 4
Goodday to everyone, I would like to hear the opinion of the experienced guys as to what method is the safest/best to "run-in" the engine after reboring and head overhaul.I plan to do it soon due to heavy oil consumption and with all the relevant topics on the site it should go well.Thanks Paul.
Paul

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

"Running-in after rebore" 10 years 2 months ago #1911

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Lifelong Rider Suffering Through MBD
  • Thank you received: 274
Thanks Paul,
I'd also like to hear more on this topic as I'm presently doing the top end on a KZ550. Not sure if I'll need to do anything more than a hone job on the cylinders but I will have to run in the rings.

Regards
Bill
1947 Indian Chief, 1968 BSA Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 Kawasaki W3, 1976 KZ900 A4, 1979 KZ750 B4, 1979 KZ750 B4 Trike, 1980 KZ550, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 1985 Kawasaki ZN1300, 1987 Yamaha Trail Way, 2000 Honda Valkyrie Tourer, 1981 GL 1100, 2009 Yamaha RoadLiner S

"Running-in after rebore" 10 years 2 months ago #1912

• pete1958
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 6
Just take it out and ride it varying the speed and dont cruse on the highway. Run it for 50 miles or so then let it cool down over night then tighten the head down again too spec. I would change the oil after 500 miles. For my bikes I just take them out and beat the hell out of them for an hour then let them sit over night.
a bunch of old kawasaki`s

"Running-in after rebore" 10 years 2 months ago #1913

• strate6
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • On An Adventure Before Dementia ! !
  • Thank you received: 356
I agree with Pete.

Personally I try to avoid sitting at the same speed for long periods. Let the engine warm up for 5 minutes before running & try to vary speeds as much as possible I would also avoid revving it too hard very quickly, just let revs build up at a steady pace for the first 1000 miles.

There is evidence suggesting its best to run an engine in HARD after a rebore or new rings & hone. I am not too sure about this but I can tell you its not good to run in too carefully as it can result in oil glaze on the cylinder walls which is not good.

I have just totally rebuilt my top end & fitted new rings & honed the bores so will be riding bike late March early April (better weather) & will not give it an easy time but not screw it either.......just ride it like I always do which is varying speeds & revs. Change oil after 1000 miles or 500 if that makes you feel better.
Buy a magnetic sump plug........good idea at anytime but it will collect all the small metal fragments related to new rings etc.....

Hope that helps ?

Pete F
Why Have Four When You Can Have Six ?

"Running-in after rebore" 10 years 2 months ago #1915

• Phil
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • 1984 ZG1300-A1 DFI
  • Thank you received: 144
Agree with what the other guys said, plus I use cheap mineral 20/50 car oil then change it with the oil filter after 500 miles & put in bike-specific semi-synth after that. Using a semi-synth initially will prolong the running in process.
Only dead fish go with the flow

"Running-in after rebore" 10 years 2 months ago #1917

• strate6
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • On An Adventure Before Dementia ! !
  • Thank you received: 356
Phil,

Did you not find you had clutch slip whilst using the car oil, as it does not have the additives in it required for a wet multi plate clutch ??

Pete F
Why Have Four When You Can Have Six ?

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.092 seconds