Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Crankshaft journal sizes 5 years 4 weeks ago #23681

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248
I'm curious what you have there. Could you post with a sample measurement when you have them? (the clearances) I makes sense to take all, as you need to properly torque down both halves of the crank case for even one.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Crankshaft journal sizes 5 years 4 weeks ago #23686

• stunter01
  • stunter01's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
I downloaded the manual and it makes sense now thanks
This bike was standing underneath a like vineyard plant for i dont know
With one sparkplug removed , can you believe this
I stripped it down completely but after i sended the casings for vapor blast the top casings had deep marks in from the rain water. So i got 2 matched casings that im going to use for the crankshaft
I will post some pics of the crank measurements etc

Last edit: by Kawboy.

Crankshaft journal sizes 5 years 4 weeks ago #23687

• stunter01
Thats how it looked

Crankshaft journal sizes 5 years 4 weeks ago #23688

• stunter01
Not nice

Crankshaft journal sizes 5 years 4 weeks ago #23691

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248
Wow! That is nasty! The sludge would clean up nice, but if there was a lot of pitting in the wrong places, makes sense to get another one.

This reminds me of my bike when started. I was lucky that no spark plug was removed - but unlucky that all of them were just loosely in by a couple threads. All the jugs were filled with water and rusty. Pretty much, the top end looked like on your bike. It took a long time to free the pistons and remove the cylinder block. Luckily, the water didn't pass piston rings and didn't enter the crank case. There was a bit of superficial rust there, but that's just mostly due to the usual moisture trapped there. The clutch was all stuck rusty, the friction plates are an even better moisture trap.

So, you will be replacing the crank case. What is the action plan for the top end ? In my case, I had to buy another cylinder block - except one all the sleeves were garbage. By coincidence, the one I bought had 5 good sleeves and one bad. So I just swapped one, had all deglazed, and done. Buying used cylinder blocks and salvaging good cylinder sleeves is much cheaper than buying brand new ones. They are basically not available anyway, except from Germany, and very expensive. Just one will cost you US $220, and the whole block over $2000. Plus shipping, duties etc. The head needed all valve seats machined, the surface machined, and one guide replaced. I also replaced all 12 valves. Despite all this rust, all 6 pistons cleaned up well and went back on the bike, with new rings of course.

I am curious what will you do with the top end, and I foresee you would need to take the same course.

Last edit: by StanG.

Crankshaft journal sizes 5 years 4 weeks ago #23698

• Frank833
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 89
That cylinder block is a prime candidate for a Big Bore kit. The 2mm overbore would probably clean up those liners.

Time to create page: 0.095 seconds