Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Crankshaft journal sizes 5 years 4 weeks ago #23700

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248
It crossed my mind as well Frank, but mine were so deeply pitted there would be no way. I could keep on digging mine like into cheese after removing rust. Those discolored areas are discolored for a reason, and they might be hiding nasty surprises on a micro level. I wouldn't be surprised if hardness and integrity are different there comparing to healthy metal. I'd say maybe some ok, but I bet many will be beyond rescue. I'd be glad to be proven wrong in this bike's case, but it looks eerily similar to mine.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Crankshaft journal sizes 5 years 4 weeks ago #23704

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
Frank - can you remind us what bore size did you have your sleeves machined to? And which oversize set did you purchase for it? What's the final displacement?

I got a cylinder block off Ebay for the one needed normal size sleeve to complete the otherwise perfect another block for my spare engine I am building from scratch. It turned out only one out of 6 is good, instead of guaranteed 4, so I got a full refund (meaning free cylinder block). I will use that one sleeve as a transplant as intended, but I am now looking at perhaps 3 or 4 left as possible candidates for overbore. If they turn out to be good for that, I'd press in a couple more possible good candidates in and have a good overbore cylinder block. That's the plan that is, until I have funds to do it.
Hope this makes sense.

Cheers!

Crankshaft journal sizes 5 years 3 weeks ago #23715

• Frank833
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 89

StanG wrote: Frank - can you remind us what bore size did you have your sleeves machined to? And which oversize set did you purchase for it? What's the final displacement?

I used the CrusinImage kit. You can get it off ebay for $250 + shipping (so $300).

It is +2mm, so it requires removing 1mm of metal. That is a bit less than 80/1000 off the bore which is a bunch.

Result is 1370cc. Piston/rings/pins are reasonable quality, probably similar to 1980s Kawasaki. Head gasket does NOT have any sealant around the water jackets so that has to be addressed.

The cylinder liners are cast iron, so they are a bit porous. There is no assurance that rust does not go deeper than 1mm. I personally would bore them (but not finish hone) BEFORE ordering the Crusinimage set. If they are OK, then I'd order the pistons and finish hone once they arrive. Based on my experience, you can safely bore them to 64.00mm then hone them for piston clearance. Off the top of my head, I think all the pistons where between 63.95-64.00.
The following user(s) said Thank You: StanG

Crankshaft journal sizes 5 years 3 weeks ago #23720

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
Thank you Frank. I might be able to salvage enough sleeves to have one overbore block for possible future projects. But I want find out anytime soon, as that is probably the last thing to do and invest in at the moment. I guess I will be keeping that one block after all.

Crankshaft journal sizes 5 years 3 weeks ago #23721

• Frank833
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 89
If you are putting in new sleeves you can go to 66mm bore for 1457cc. You would use KZ650 pistons.

But that requires machining the sleeves/cylinder block/engine case. Guys do it, but if you are paying someone for the machine work I can’t see how the $$$ makes sense.

Crankshaft journal sizes 5 years 3 weeks ago #23722

• Bucko
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 164

Frank833 wrote: If you are putting in new sleeves you can go to 66mm bore for 1457cc. You would use KZ650 pistons.

But that requires machining the sleeves/cylinder block/engine case. Guys do it, but if you are paying someone for the machine work I can’t see how the $$$ makes sense.

Is the 650 Piston pin the same diameter as the 1300 little end rod bearing or does the rod bearing need to be sized as well?
Hello from Canada's We(s)t coast.

Last edit: by Bucko.
Time to create page: 0.067 seconds