Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Impeller circlip 5 years 1 month ago #23460

• Bucko
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 164

StanG wrote: Bucko, I'd be up for a couple if you find them. Cheers.

I meant: I'm familiar with buying new parts even though I know I have the parts on the shelf somewhere but can't find them. :)
Hello from Canada's We(s)t coast.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Impeller circlip 5 years 1 month ago #23464

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248
Well, if you find the circlips I'm in for 2! LOL

Impeller circlip 5 years 1 month ago #23498

• zed_thirteen
  • zed_thirteen's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 137
I have now found that using two long allen keys (wrenches) gently as levers in one hand and the circlip pre-loaded into circlip pliers in the other - I was able to get the circlip on fairly easily.
1980 KZ1300 B2 Touring/A2
1990 ZZ-R1100 C1
The following user(s) said Thank You: biltonjim, Kawboy

Impeller circlip 5 years 1 month ago #23501

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248
Ingenuity goes a long way... One would be twisting a flat driver to expand the circlip while pressing down with another to have it click in? Or just getting a proper tool and be good for the future. These are not that expensive, or use a credid card, like I did :) Despite the thank you's you got my man, I don't really see a creative input here... Next one will be another challenge, be it at cardan shaft, wheels, crank case gears, and so on. Done once doesn't mean solution. I'd say great for solving this, but it's not a solution.

Last edit: by StanG.

Impeller circlip 5 years 1 month ago #23503

• zed_thirteen
  • zed_thirteen's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 137

StanG wrote: Ingenuity goes a long way... One would be twisting a flat driver to expand the circlip while pressing down with another to have it click in? Or just getting a proper tool and be good for the future. These are not that expensive, or use a credid card, like I did :) Despite the thank you's you got my man, I don't really see a creative input here... Next one will be another challenge, be it at cardan shaft, wheels, crank case gears, and so on. Done once doesn't mean solution. I'd say great for solving this, but it's not a solution.

This was just my solution for the impeller circlip. I think all owners who work on their bikes should invest in a set of 2 or 4 circlip pliers and use them - probably less than $20. Trying to open/remove/install circlips with screw drivers or other improvised tools is asking for trouble and unnecessary frustration.

This particular cirlcip is only a problem because the mechanical seal spring behind the impeller is fighting against you trying to put the circlip on in front of the impeller. Most other circlips on the bike don't fight you in this way. My problem was with this spring - not with the circlip!
1980 KZ1300 B2 Touring/A2
1990 ZZ-R1100 C1

Last edit: by zed_thirteen.

Impeller circlip 5 years 1 month ago #23505

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1029
I've learned a hard lesson before using cheap Canadian Tire circlip pliers and having the tip break off and go flying somewhere. You have to find that damned piece of shrapnel and the search can take forever. Leave that hardened tip in the crankcase somewhere and it's all over. Spend the money and get Blue Point tips (which are Snap ON) at the very least.
Here's a Nuclear story for you regarding losing a little piece.
Working on a 540 Megawatt generator winding which has an internal diameter of 8.5 ft and 30 ft long. A mechanic has to take a measurement of a piece while in the generator winding, so he brought in a vernier to take the measurement. Now if you have a vernier, look at the thumb wheel and how a small plastic bracket holds that thumb wheel on the frame of the vernier. What happened was the plastic bracket came loose and the thumb wheel fell off the vernier unannounced to the mechanic. The vernier was returned to the tool box missing the thumb wheel. The generator was reassembled and placed in service. That thumb wheel lodged in the generator winding and the magnetism of the generator caused the thumb wheel to etch it's way through the winding. 7 months later the generator was torn apart to find the open circuit in the winding. 80 day outage at a loss of $250,000 / day ( $20 million) plus a rewound generator stator @ $ 8 million dollars and 80 days labor for 30 men @$54.00/hour = $3,110,400 comes out to $ $31,110,400 dollars total for a stupid lost thumb wheel from a $10 vernier.

Lose a tip off of a circlip plier in the crankcase of a KZ1300 priceless

Time to create page: 0.084 seconds