TOPIC:

Electrical components heat? 3 years 11 months ago #26765

• McBoney
  • McBoney's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 96
Hi all,

I am planning to house most or all of the electrical components in a small box in between the engine case and the swing axle bar. The space is 150mm by 120mm by 70mm. I am planning to make an aluminium box so I can attach all the components to the side walls.

But as there will be the battery, the digital fusebox, the igniter and the regulator in there, and at least the last two items have what seem to be cooling fins on them, I was wondering whether I should maybe leave those out or cut some cooling holes in the box.

Any ideas how hot these things get and whether stuffing al of these in a small box together is a good idea? :unsure:

Cheers
Paul
Six-Pot-Cafe in the making...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Electrical components heat? 3 years 11 months ago #26767

• strate6
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • On An Adventure Before Dementia ! !
  • Thank you received: 356
I had a similar challenge with a Chop I built 8 years ago as like you only had limited space for the battery and elec components.
You can see what I did in the first photo below (with the K&N Sticker on it) and it worked well.

Your 1300 Ignition CDI Unit never gets hot, despite having what look to be cooling fins on them.
Fuse box should remain cool unless it has an issue and the only part which can get slightly warm under exreme conditions is your Voltage Regulator which also has cooling fins on it too.
I personally would cut some sort of "inlet" airflow hole at the base of the box and an "outlet" at the top just to allow a small flow through, but silicon some mesh inside each hole to prevent bugs and critters getting in an making it home !

Pete F
UK
Why Have Four When You Can Have Six ?
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: McBoney

Last edit: by strate6.

Electrical components heat? 3 years 11 months ago #26771

• McBoney
  • McBoney's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 96
Cheers.

I did a mock up with a box made from cardboard and it simply doesn't all fit in.

So I found another place...

They should keep cool there as they are 'in the wind' that goes underneath the tank.

And if you look carefully you can see the ignition solenoid tucked below the wide 'bridge' with the starter cable connected and the earth connected just above the Igniter.

That means that only the battery and the digital fusebox need to go into the box behind the engine block - and they fit no probem.:)
Six-Pot-Cafe in the making...

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.096 seconds