Username: Password: Remember me
Electrical

TOPIC:

What battery capacity do I need? 3 years 11 months ago #26699

• Bucko
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 164
I put a Deka Big Crank (made in US of A) AGM battery in my 86 ZN (can't remember if it was last season or the season before). I chose the largest one that would fit without modification - It's smaller than the wet cell I took out of there so I had to shim the battery box with some foam. I've had very good results with Big Crank batteries over the years and have used them is several bikes. I'd typically get about 8 years out of Big Crank and so far no problems with this one. Very good value for about $100.

I think this is the one I used: www.batterymart.com/p-Big-Crank-ETX16L-Battery.html . Not sure if that particular model will fit a regular 1300 or not.
Hello from Canada's We(s)t coast.
The following user(s) said Thank You: McBoney

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Bucko.

What battery capacity do I need? 3 years 11 months ago #26701

• McBoney
  • McBoney's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 96
Thanks all, I may have not mentioned, I am building this bike from scratch and it will NOT be stock. I want the lightest, smallest dimension battery possible, but with enough crank capacity to start the big engine in conditions that are from 5 to 35C. Any colder than that and it will probably be wet (this is the UK!) and I don't ride in the wet unless an emergency.

As I am therefore going lithium, I have the right regulator for it and I will design the rest of electrical system around it. This includes the high voltage systems insofar as they are concerned. I have three AW82 TRI coils as well. I WILL check all the voltages when commissioning as I do not want to catch fire! :P

Good point about the trickle charger/battery tender....

So, question remains, will the Shorai battery LFX14A2-BS12 with 14Ah and 210 CCA be enough or do I need to go up in terms of Ah and CCA?

Paul
Six-Pot-Cafe in the making...

Last edit: by McBoney.

What battery capacity do I need? 3 years 11 months ago #26707

• Phil
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • 1984 ZG1300-A1 DFI
  • Thank you received: 144
I had to get a slightly smaller battery to fit the available space on my custom Z1300, although I didn't go that much smaller, an 18 ah which copes fine, so I don't see why a smaller capacity one wouldn't be OK. Just for reference the battery on my Yamaha MT-01 is 14 ah & that's a 1700cc V-twin, it copes fine with that.
Only dead fish go with the flow

What battery capacity do I need? 3 years 11 months ago #26719

• McBoney
  • McBoney's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 96
Whilst looking for a Motobatt, I found this one: Ultrabatt!

www.ultrabattstore.com/multiMIGHTY-400-B...ry-300CCA-p150480501

Only 40mm deep!
Six-Pot-Cafe in the making...

What battery capacity do I need? 3 years 11 months ago #26720

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1029

McBoney wrote: Whilst looking for a Motobatt, I found this one: Ultrabatt!

www.ultrabattstore.com/multiMIGHTY-400-B...ry-300CCA-p150480501

Only 40mm deep!

I'm liking that. Are you going with a series regulator like SH775 or an SH847? I think the lithium batteries are a little more critical about charging voltage. 13.6 - 14.5? volts

What battery capacity do I need? 3 years 11 months ago #26724

• Neville
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 75
The Motobatt products seem to get good reviews but for the past 12 years or so I have been using a Westco battery (WCP18 Westco Platinum 22Ah Y50-N18L-A2) - this has proved highly reliable with very low self discharge and reliable starting. Not the cheapest but in general, you get what you pay for.

See: www.tayna.co.uk/motorcycle-batteries/westco/wcp18/ (for UK purchases)

I would be wary of lithium ion - not as robust as lead acid, don't like abuse and must be charged with care. OK if it comes with a sophisticated battery management system but some are better than others....

Time to create page: 0.087 seconds