• Page:

TOPIC:

Speed Sensor Questions.... 4 years 4 weeks ago #26325

• Bucko
  • Bucko's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 164
I'm in the process of putting a new tire on the front of my ZN1300 and noticed a couple things about the front wheel speed sensor.

For those of you that have fuel injected 13's (I assume they use the same speed sensor setup as the ZN)..

The rubber boot that protects the wires emerging from the speed sensor is torn. Fiches shows the entire unit as one assembly. Have others figured out a way to repair a torn rubber boot. There's a metal ring that looks a bit like a 'nut' (not really a nut - but it does have 'flats') right a the base - holding the boot to the sensor (maybe?) Does that 'nut' unscrew or is it a press fit?

There are a couple of small 'protrusions' on the wheel side of the left fork leg which look like they're there to prevent the sensor body from spinning (in either direction). Is the corresponding sensor body tab supposed to go in-between those protrusions? On my bike, the sensor tab was in front of the fork protrusions - which would allow the sensor to rotate forward (except it's restrained by the sensor wires). It seems my sensor was positioned incorrectly, however, if I rotate the sensor so that it's tabs are in-between the protrusions, the wires emerge from the bottom of the sensor at quite an angle. Does that make sense?

Sensor Tab (you can see the torn rubber wire boot on the top left, and the metal ring that holds the boot on):

Fork Leg Protrusions:

Should it be like this:

Or Like this (this is the way I found it):

Thanks for any advice.

Edit: Added some pictures.
Hello from Canada's We(s)t coast.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Bucko.

Speed Sensor Questions.... 4 years 3 weeks ago #26354

• Bucko
  • Bucko's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 164
So answering my own question.....

If the tab on the sensor is placed between the two fork protrusions, the sensor will not come in contact with rear protrusion as it too high on the fork leg. So I positioned the sensor as I originally found it, i.e. as shown in the last photo above, which leave the wires exiting the sensor at a more relaxed angle.
Hello from Canada's We(s)t coast.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Bucko.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.088 seconds