Electrical
  • Page:

TOPIC:

kz 1300 battery 4 years 1 month ago #26070

• Greg Davis
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 13
So where is everyone getting this "aftermarket stator and mosfet regulator, On a similar post I made scotch mentioned this change.
An inquiring mind would like to know!
Thanks Greg

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

kz 1300 battery 4 years 1 month ago #26071

• Phil
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • 1984 ZG1300-A1 DFI
  • Thank you received: 144

Greg Davis wrote: So where is everyone getting this "aftermarket stator and mosfet regulator, On a similar post I made scotch mentioned this change.
Thanks Greg

I bought a Shindengen FH020 (originally for a Yamaha R1) 2nd hand on Ebay about 10 years ago. Still working great & probably why the Motobatt battery is still OK after 8 years. Don't know what the other guys are using, maybe one that's a better fit, or one that supersedes the one I bought.
Only dead fish go with the flow

kz 1300 battery 4 years 1 month ago #26072

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1029

Greg Davis wrote: So where is everyone getting this "aftermarket stator and mosfet regulator, On a similar post I made scotch mentioned this change.
Thanks Greg

Roadstercycle.com

The "next upgrade to the Shindengen FH020 which is a mosfet shunt regulator is the latest series regulator SH847 from Shindengen. Instead of shunting the unwanted current to ground when the battery is full and the circuit demand is low, the newer series regulator turns off and on the feed coming from the stator. The end result is less heat generated at the stator since the "flow" of current is lower. Reports from end users suggests that oil temps in the engine run around 10 degrees F cooler, so an added benefit.
Anyway, roadster cycle is the only place I would buy from. There's a lot of fakes on the market especially on FleeBay.. Check out Roadster Cycle.
KB
The following user(s) said Thank You: Greg Davis

kz 1300 battery 4 years 1 month ago #26075

• McBoney
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 96
Ok, purely out of self interest:

I am starting from zero and am not bound by originality, merely a desire to keep everything as simple and as small as possible, but not to lose reliability.... what should I be looking at battery and regulator etc -wise. I already have three WA82TRI coils based on a different thread on the forum.

Paul
Six-Pot-Cafe in the making...

kz 1300 battery 4 years 1 month ago #26079

• Neville
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 75
Agree with Kawboy that a series regulator is the way to go. Looks after the stator and reduces heat to oil. The SH847 is a monster and will not fit in the same space as the original OEM regulator. I bought a genuine Shindengen SH775 series regulator (search ebay for "NEW SH775 voltage regulator rectifier Polaris Ace Ranger RZR EP4T ETX 4012941") but beware of fakes! This is rated more appropriately for the relatively low alternator power of the early Z1300's. With a bit of simple metalwork, it will also fit in the same space as the original.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: zed_thirteen, Kawboy, McBoney

Last edit: by Neville.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.263 seconds