Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Electrical

TOPIC:

No spark on a KZ1300 5 years 4 months ago #22563

• ronlander
  • ronlander's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2
you know i've been riding motorcycles and collecting them, even racing some for many years, this is the first time i've heard the term "wasted spark system", learn something everyday. good stuff :-).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kawboy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

No spark on a KZ1300 5 years 3 months ago #22688

• ronlander
Hope everyone had a nice new years day...

Here is my update;

I took apart the coils and found that two of them developed a big crack, so big that you can actually see the coil inside, I used epoxy to seal them back and then tested them on my old Yamaha testing tool, they tested just fine, I tested the ballast resistor and IC Igniter, both passed as well. Every component was okay when it came to the bench test. I installed everything back on the bike, still no good. I was at a loss, then I found post #376

www.kz1300.com/index.php/forum/electrica...00-kz1300-how-to#376

I also have a CBX and with it three spare AW82 coils, so convenient. I tested them and they show 2.6 ohms, good coils.
Followed the instructions and… presto, the bike started right up, I think it’s working better then it did before. I had to changed the tune on the carbs a bit, probably since the spark was much better now, and that was that.

Question, in that post I see that some people added a 0.4 ohms ballast resistor, should I do that, will not having the resistor damage the IC Igniter? I want to take the bike out for a test ride this weekend, just want to make sure it will not damage the IC Igniter.
Attachments:

Last edit: by Kawboy.

No spark on a KZ1300 5 years 3 months ago #22689

• ronlander
This is the new setup, it's temporary, i wanted to make sure it works before i spend the time to make the whole thing look more "stock" like, i will buy the right hardware, wires, plugs, etc. will upload pictures after i do it again.
Attachments:

No spark on a KZ1300 5 years 3 months ago #22691

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1029
At 2.6 ohms you should be fine. If you were at 2.4 ohms like most AW82 coils, I'd say add.4 ohms resistance.
Adding resistance lowers the load on the igniter. The guide line is to maintain the primary resistance above 2.7 ohms. Thee are a few guys running 2.4 ohms without resistors and doing fine we here.
My 2 cents

KB
The following user(s) said Thank You: ronlander

No spark on a KZ1300 5 years 3 months ago #22695

• Frank833
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 89
In the picture I don't see the screw on caps (that go over the spark plug wires). Do you have them?

No spark on a KZ1300 5 years 3 months ago #22696

• ronlander
I dont, these are spares for my CBX, i'm going to buy three more and make sure they have the caps, these are cheep...
By the way, I want to maintain the OEM look, can I use the HT wires from the original coils?

Time to create page: 0.084 seconds