Username: Password: Remember me
Electrical

TOPIC:

accel vs dyna coils... 5 years 9 months ago #20608

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1029

met1212 wrote: cylinders 6 - 4 - and 2 are working with 5 (coming in when it feels like)....so each coil is outputting one cylinder only.....

plugs and leads are brand new.....complete carby kit brand new

Interesting to note that the cylinders feeding off of the right side of the 3 carbs are working plus the intermittant #5 kicking in. I suspect you've got carb issues due to time spent sitting on the side stand and not the main stand when parked. My suspicion is the left sides of all 3 carbs have blockages.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

accel vs dyna coils... 5 years 9 months ago #20609

• scotch
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 832
The odds of 3 coils each failing on one lead (the "side-stand" side) is so remote it's incalculable. Crank the engine with one plug removed at a time and "shorted" to the block. I'll bet each plug "sparks". Kawboy's on the right track suggesting a carb issue.!
1980 KZ 1300 sr# KZT30A-009997
Always High - Know Fear !
The following user(s) said Thank You: met1212, Kawboy

accel vs dyna coils... 5 years 9 months ago #20612

• met1212
  • met1212's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 7
carbies overhauled and cleaned....new jets, diaphragms, gaskets.....all done about 3 weeks ago.........im thinking in putting in some dyna coils anyway.....i guess process of elimination as i have no choice and there is no one competent here in sydney i can take it to....

Last edit: by met1212.

accel vs dyna coils... 5 years 9 months ago #20614

• Tonto
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 133
Hope you soon get her fixed
Couple of years ago I had running issues, intermittent onto 4 & 5 cyls, could not get to the bottom of it. Had the igniter run on another engine (coutesy of Oz at Zed Parts - thanks) and it was fine,so then had a major carb strip and overhaul and fitted Dyna's - problem never returned. But like yourself (as my Z13 is a "keeper")  I just wanted to eliminate potential issue (such as 40 yr old coils).

That said, my Z13 has since found several new ways to tornent me.

Cheers Tim. 
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without the loss of enthusiasm " Winston Churchill.
The following user(s) said Thank You: met1212

Last edit: by Kawboy.

accel vs dyna coils... 5 years 9 months ago #20615

• zed_thirteen
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 137
I can' t see how coils can only spark on one side.

To complete the circuit on the secondary coil the spark travels Coil->HT Lead->Plug Gap->Cylinder Head->other spark plug gap->other HT lead->Other side of secondary winding.

The only way the spark can jump one spark plug and not the other is if there is a short somewhere between the chassis and the secondary winding of the coil.

What happens if you take both HT leads from one coil, put working spark plugs into both and connect the metal bodies of the plugs together (with wire - don't hold them) without touching the engine or frame - Do both plugs spark?

I have a spark gap tester for this but the above test achieves the same thing
1980 KZ1300 B2 Touring/A2
1990 ZZ-R1100 C1
The following user(s) said Thank You: met1212

accel vs dyna coils... 5 years 9 months ago #20616

• scotch
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 832
carbies overhauled and cleaned....new jets, diaphragms, gaskets.....all done about 3 weeks ago.........im thinking in putting in some dyna coils anyway.....i guess process of elimination as i have no choice and there is no one competent here in sydney i can take it to....

It's been suggested that your carburettors are suffering from blockages, with a simple and common-sense explanation as to why.  A simple test has been recommended for the existing coils: Remove each plug one at a time, (with the plug-wire attached !!! ) and ground (touch the threaded end)  to the cyl-head while cranking the engine.  If it sparks - the coil is good !  Most of us learn this when we're 10 years old and trying to start our fathers piece of shit lawn-mower !  
You have indicated nothing about doing this. 
So essentially you're prepared to waste your money and time on new coils before you perform the most basic and elementary diagnostic that costs nothing and would prove or dispel the probable carb. problem?  IF you don't have enough hands: Have someone push the starter switch while you hold a spark-plug in one hand and the frame with the other!  If each of the 6 plugs jolt you across the floor - the coils are working.  

1980 KZ 1300 sr# KZT30A-009997
Always High - Know Fear !

Last edit: by scotch.
Time to create page: 0.103 seconds