Electrical

TOPIC:

Shindengen FH020AA versus the newer SH847 3 years 1 month ago #28774

• Stiggy
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • March 1961
  • Thank you received: 17
I haven't seen a circuit diagram for a mosfet regulator, but it would be much simpler to rectify the 3 phase alternator output into dc first. Then pulse width modulate ( at highish frequency)a DC side mosfet to provide the exact amount of power to run the loads and regulate the system voltage at the desired value.
1985 ZG1300 dfi
1977 Z1000 a1 recent purchase, previously owned by myself 1979 ~2000

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Shindengen FH020AA versus the newer SH847 3 years 1 month ago #28775

• Kawboy
  • Kawboy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1027

Stiggy wrote: I haven't seen a circuit diagram for a mosfet regulator, but it would be much simpler to rectify the 3 phase alternator output into dc first. Then pulse width modulate ( at highish frequency)a DC side mosfet to provide the exact amount of power to run the loads and regulate the system voltage at the desired value.

Maybe this will help for those who understand electrical schematics. It's a little above my paygrade. I thought the video who be sufficient to demonstrate that the shunt regulator puts out full current regardless of the load.
Shindengen regulator schematics for shunt, series and mosfet
The following user(s) said Thank You: Stiggy

Shindengen FH020AA versus the newer SH847 3 years 1 month ago #28776

• Phil
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • 1984 ZG1300-A1 DFI
  • Thank you received: 144

Stiggy wrote: I haven't seen a circuit diagram for a mosfet regulator, but it would be much simpler to rectify the 3 phase alternator output into dc first. Then pulse width modulate ( at highish frequency)a DC side mosfet to provide the exact amount of power to run the loads and regulate the system voltage at the desired value.

Instead of dumping the current to ground? I've always thought it was a crude, wasteful system but I wonder if they do it so that the generator is always under a constant load & doesn't receive sudden loadings with the demand being switched on & off, therefore shortening it's life span?
Incidentally I fitted a Shindengen FH020 RR about 12 years ago; along with cutting out the connector plug & soldering the cables for the generator I've had no more charging problems.
Only dead fish go with the flow

Last edit: by Phil.
Time to create page: 0.112 seconds