Electrical

TOPIC:

M-Unit Blue- Motogadget 6 years 2 weeks ago #18985

• tackelhappy
  • tackelhappy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 164
I started several months ago installing my recently purchased circuit breaker/ fuse box from Motogadget.
I have had two of these before, the first I purchased from Speigler USA about 8 or 9 years ago- it was the first generation. It had some issues and was replaced under warranty. The second unit lasted until last year, when in a moment of confusion I reversed the polarities from the battery to the unit - instant destruction. The unit had no safe guards built in and so that was the end of it.
As I had built the rest of the electrical system around this fuse box , I was pretty much committed to replacing it with the same thing or starting over from scratch with something else'
The second unit I purchased from Revzilla in the USA. last august And this Unit Blue is quite an improvement over the old one but still has some short comings.
The first photo is the box lid the unit came in. All is not how it appears on the lid.
The second photo is the unit ( with two wires I attached ). As you can see or not see, the individual circuits are named , but they are almost impossible to read. The lettering is cast into the black plastic . Not so good. All the ads for this unit , including the box lid are photoshopped big time. But there are remedies.
The third photo is of the original and the new. The lettering on the old unit I highlighted with a welders white ink marker.
" If you can't say what you think, very soon you won't be able to think !
OKANAGAN FALLS. BC ,Canada
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: zed_thirteen, DannyKZ

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by tackelhappy.

M-Unit Blue- Motogadget 6 years 2 weeks ago #18987

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248
We talked about the M-Unit a while back. I have my harness sitting in the corner of my living room and I did some cleaning and testing so far. The starter solenoid works :) I decided to clean all up and give it a try, so for now I will not be building a new wiring from scratch. But please document everything you are doing installing the unit on the 1300! It will be handy one day. And you already started a dedicated thread! :)

M-Unit Blue- Motogadget 6 years 2 weeks ago #18989

• tackelhappy
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
This thread wont be a step by step work thru- for two reasons. I have a lot of extras on my bike and a lot of motogadget stuff , of which few others will do. So a lot of the wiring is specific to me . Secondly, Revival Cycles have a lot of youtube video's on wiring motorcycles and 2 or 3 on the Unit -blue.

revivalcycles.com/pages/videos-all

I will add stuff to the thread as I go along, some of it might get a bit tedious and disorganised , but hopefully I can clean it all up at the end

M-Unit Blue- Motogadget 6 years 2 weeks ago #18994

• tackelhappy
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
So the first thing was to find a location. The units preferred position is lying flat. It has some kind of gyro ? that measures is orientation so for instance, once the alarm is set ,and then the bike is moved off the side stand , the alarm goes off. To make that work, the unit would be wired into the horn.
So the most room and ease of access is in the tail section. But it required running a lot more wire. It's a long way to the handle bars
Attachments:

Last edit: by tackelhappy.

M-Unit Blue- Motogadget 4 years 1 month ago #25882

• McBoney
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 96
Hi, old thread, but by searching for info on the net, this came up. (again: long live this great forum!)

I am at the stage where I am looking in to the wiring aspect of my build (for those who don't know, a ground-up non-standard build) and the Motogadget Blue system has my interest.

Have you made any progress on this yet? I'd be keen to see what your wiring diagram looks like. I understand how the lights etc are wired and how they work, but unclear on how to connect the KZ1300's ignition system up. There are quite a few parts (regulator, ICU, coils, stator, starter solenoid etc etc) that I can't get my head around how to wire in... and none of the instruction videos deal with a water-cooled engine with a cooling fan.

Also, I am thinking of using the M-Button allowing the Motogadget unit to communicate digitally with the front controls through a single wire, but the Revtech video states that this can be 'interfered with' by the electrical field created by the coils, spark wires and spark plug caps. It also states the communicating wire can be isolated from this electrical field by a metal sheath connected to the frame - grounded. But if I run the wire through the frame rather than along it, has that the same isolating effect? Am I not effectively so creating a Faraday cage as well?

And lastly (for now :oops: ) will this work with a lightweight (dry) battery?

Cheers
Paul
Six-Pot-Cafe in the making...

M-Unit Blue- Motogadget 4 years 1 month ago #25884

• tackelhappy
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
I can help you do that. Just give me a day or so get some photos ready and we'll get started.
You are right in that there isn't much on the web to give direction or examples of wiring diagrams for bikes and none that I could find with motogadget and the kz 1300. So this will be a first and hope we can do a good job as we work our way thru this .
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kawboy, StanG, McBoney

Time to create page: 0.112 seconds