Electrical

TOPIC:

Not charging 6 years 9 months ago #16839

• Ledkz1300
  • Ledkz1300's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 76
Well, it appears I have multiple issues.

I bought a new multimeter as I was confused about the readings I was getting. My old multimeter was not reading continuity at all. My new one shows continuity across all three legs of the stator AND the 4th wire which I assume is ground. On my 81 motor it showing continuity between all three legs but NOT across the 4th wire. I guess it is safe to assume by 79 stator is pooched? If so, I think I should swap both the R/R and the stator from the 81 to the 79. Part numbers on partzilla show the stator is common across those years. The R/R should be fine as well?

The 81 was running and charging before I did the swap and started mining it for parts.

What do you think?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Not charging 6 years 9 months ago #16840

• Ledkz1300
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Took off the cover and found one very fried stator. Burnt to a crisp.

Also found no gasket and some blue locktite type stuff so I'm guessing this isn't its first stator. It wasn't leaking oil which shocked the hell out me.

I'm running with the assumption the R/R is what is frying the stator so I am dropping the other one in.
Attachments:

Not charging 6 years 9 months ago #16841

• scotch
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 832
Sounds like you've got it sorted out. If I can suggest : Use a gasket ! I don't like the potential of cured chunks of RTV sealer getting into the oil system.
1980 KZ 1300 sr# KZT30A-009997
Always High - Know Fear !

Not charging 6 years 9 months ago #16846

• Ledkz1300
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Ordering one tomorrow! Trying to undo the half-assed work that has been done over the years. Not create more. ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: scotch

Not charging 6 years 8 months ago #16996

• Ledkz1300
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Finally got my gaskets in the mail and put her back together. I used the stator and regulator out of the 81 motor.

There is a size and shape difference in the old and new versions of the R/R. It is larger with deeper fins. I had to make a sleeve so the mounting bolt would not go in too deep as the old R/R is about .5 inch thicker where the bolt goes through it.

It works great. I'm charging at 15V+ at 4000 rpm. I'll get some pics.

Now I have another problem. The damn grommet leaks. What is the best way to safely seal the grommet? I also discovered a hairline crack in the bottom of the casing where one of the long bolts go through. Someone mist have over tightened it at one time.

Not charging 6 years 8 months ago #16998

• Ledkz1300
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Turns out the grommet is not leaking. It is weeping out around the allen bolt where the crack is. Someone previously used a blue sealant inside and outside where the crack is and around the bolt.

Any idea of something I could use? I have a spare casing but I'd hate to turf this one because of such a small crack. It is cosmetically superior to the spare which is chrome, painted over black so a lot of work to restore it. Over winter I will but I just want to ride the damn thing, Maybe someone is good enough to weld the crack on the inside? I should have taken a picture when I had it apart.

Time to create page: 0.077 seconds