Username: Password: Remember me
Electrical

TOPIC:

Question about timing on A1 7 years 2 days ago #16308

• scotch
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 832
I'm with Kawboy. I wouldn't start filing-out holes until you've tried re-indexing one tooth, first. However my question would be: If the initial timing is on the mark and the full advance timing is working as you indicate, why would you "Elongate" the pick-up plate holes ? Just curious.
1980 KZ 1300 sr# KZT30A-009997
Always High - Know Fear !

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Question about timing on A1 7 years 2 days ago #16309

• scotch
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
KZA13 wrote: <" not sure if it's fuel supply or timing or shims, sometimes she doesn't seem to be running on all 6, idles good, revs good, sometimes a bit of a pop either in the exhaust or back thru carb, not sure which cylinder, getting lazy and haven't really gotten into it yet .....">

Two contradictions which makes trying to do an internet diagnose impossible ! Fuel? Timing? (apparently OK). Valve clearances? Confused as to how it can seem to not be running on all six but idles and revs good. You've got to get the simple stuff sorted out first. MANUAL ! Fuel flow good - Move on. Ignition timing - OK - move on. Valve clearances - check and shim as required - move on. Coils, leads and plugs Good(?) - move on. At this point, filing out timing plate holes is redundant. The only thing left and the most likely is the carbs. "Popping" is generally a positive indicator of a blocked/partially blocked idle jet(s). With the engine warmed up pull one plug-lead at a time. Odds are you'll find your problem cyl. Get a Cleaning Tool and solve the "Popping" issues.

Question about timing on A1 7 years 1 day ago #16315

• kza13
  • kza13's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 97
Got a cleaning tool, that's the carbs that are on there now, all nice and clean and shiney.... But I digress .... I will admit that I am an old idiot, and I really should invest in a new pair of glasses, guess who timed it to the wrong mark ???, PETE DID !!!!!!!!! , it really helps to do it in the afternoon with the sun shining thru the door and onto the bike timing area, so some d***head can see the big giant "F" beside the right mark, oh well at least i'm man enough to admit my mistake and not bullshit everybody with some made up story about how it was something else, wonder if they make glasses out of really big magnifying glasses ???, it'd probably help this old blind bugger :-) :-), cheers all from a humble Pete. (silly old fart)
after tuesday even the calendar goes WTF
1979 KAWASAKI Z1300 A1 WITH A DJP SIDECAR
Frame No: KZT3OA003911
Engine No: KZT3OAE004153

Question about timing on A1 7 years 1 day ago #16316

• kiwirider
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 17
Good result well done Pete
2018 Harley cvo ultra 1982 cbx1000 1980 gsx1100 2012 gtr1400 cx500 turbo 1977 suzuki gt750

Question about timing on A1 7 years 1 day ago #16318

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1029

kza13 wrote: Got a cleaning tool, that's the carbs that are on there now, all nice and clean and shiney.... But I digress .... I will admit that I am an old idiot, and I really should invest in a new pair of glasses, guess who timed it to the wrong mark ???, PETE DID !!!!!!!!! , it really helps to do it in the afternoon with the sun shining thru the door and onto the bike timing area, so some d***head can see the big giant "F" beside the right mark, oh well at least i'm man enough to admit my mistake and not bullshit everybody with some made up story about how it was something else, wonder if they make glasses out of really big magnifying glasses ???, it'd probably help this old blind bugger :-) :-), cheers all from a humble Pete. (silly old fart)

Just change the "Q" on your licence plate to an "O" and all will be forgiven. I do thank you for the opportunity to scratch my head a few times :whistle:
So the question is "Did the pickup coil plate realign itself back into the center of the slots?"

Question about timing on A1 7 years 1 day ago #16322

• scotch
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
A simple mistake discovered and corrected can solve a lot of issues! A great learning point for all. Good news !

Time to create page: 0.167 seconds