Username: Password: Remember me
Electrical
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Digital ignition ZDG3.3 (Kawasaki Z1300A1) 8 years 9 months ago #7863

• SIXPIPES
  • SIXPIPES's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1
I have had to replace my Dynatek system with this one as my main unit blew.
These are not very good at all, the instructions are nothing short of a joke, it does not come with all the wiring - you have to supply some yourself. Also the trigger plate does not fit correctly and you will need to file the nmounting holes out to fit correctly.
I am using 3 ohm Dyna coils with the ballast removed - is this correct as there is no information regarding what this ignition system needs or what should be removed.
That apart I have fitted the ignition system and I do get all six firing but the timing is obviously out. The instructions tell me to set on a mark s and turn back to another mark N, this I assume would be the firing BTDC but when I check it out it fires exactly at TDC. It also says to check with a str1obe but there is no mark for the strobe to work off ?
Would anyone know how much in a linear movement to set a dial test indicator at, am I correct in saying that it should fire BTDC - how much?
TRIUMPH T120R,BSA A7,BSA A10,BSA SPITFIRE,BSA ROCKET 3 RV,ARIAL SQ 4,S.O.S, RUDGE, BENELLI 750SEI,BENELLI 900SEI, KZ900, SUZUKI GT750, SUZUKI RE5, KAWASAKI H1A, KAWASAKI H2, MOTO GUZZI 850T, NORTON FASTBACK, NORTON INTERSTATE, SUNBEAM S8.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Digital ignition ZDG3.3 (Kawasaki Z1300A1) 8 years 9 months ago #7865

• Tyler
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 46
Remember when checking an ignition pickup the coil fires at the point the circuit goes OPEN, it closes to charge the coil and opens to fire. The pickup should switch from closed to open before TDC. It may be closing at BDC to charge the coil.

IIRC dynateck should be closed all the time and open when the ignition pickup is triggered by the advancer. At any rate, the coil should fire before TDC.
1981 KZ1300

Last edit: by Tyler.

Digital ignition ZDG3.3 (Kawasaki Z1300A1) 8 years 9 months ago #7866

• McZed
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 26
I was thinking about fitting this system, it will be interesting to see how well (or not) it works.
Let us know how you get on with it.

There are instructions on here.
www.elektronik-sachse.de/ZDG3/start/star...ASAKI/Z1300/&lang=en
Z1300 UK

Last edit: by McZed.

Digital ignition ZDG3.3 (Kawasaki Z1300A1) 8 years 9 months ago #7882

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1029

SIXPIPES wrote: That apart I have fitted the ignition system and I do get all six firing but the timing is obviously out. The instructions tell me to set on a mark s and turn back to another mark N, this I assume would be the firing BTDC but when I check it out it fires exactly at TDC. It also says to check with a str1obe but there is no mark for the strobe to work off ?
Would anyone know how much in a linear movement to set a dial test indicator at, am I correct in saying that it should fire BTDC - how much?

Sixpipes,
You need to take a look at page 239 in the manual. If you have a strobe light, attach the pick up lead to number 1 or #6 plug wire and then fire up the bike. You should see the "F" mark on the timing plate line up. The "F" mark is 10 deg. before top dead center. Forget the dial indicator measurement. You don't need it.

Digital ignition ZDG3.3 (Kawasaki Z1300A1) 8 years 9 months ago #7901

• SIXPIPES
  • SIXPIPES's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi thanks for the advice but the plate that I assume had the timing marks on them is no longer there. Dynatek used there own plate but this is not compatible with the new system. Who ever fitted the Dyna system must have thrown the original plate away long ago.
Any suggestions please as the people who make the new system (elektronik-sachse.) are away on shutdown/holiday until the 7th if July
TRIUMPH T120R,BSA A7,BSA A10,BSA SPITFIRE,BSA ROCKET 3 RV,ARIAL SQ 4,S.O.S, RUDGE, BENELLI 750SEI,BENELLI 900SEI, KZ900, SUZUKI GT750, SUZUKI RE5, KAWASAKI H1A, KAWASAKI H2, MOTO GUZZI 850T, NORTON FASTBACK, NORTON INTERSTATE, SUNBEAM S8.

Digital ignition ZDG3.3 (Kawasaki Z1300A1) 8 years 9 months ago #7902

• zed_thirteen
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 137
the Dyna system replaces the original mechanical advance and retard assembly with their own CNC rotor with magnet.

I think you may need to get a second hand pick-up unit to get it back to stock perhaps?
1980 KZ1300 B2 Touring/A2
1990 ZZ-R1100 C1

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.074 seconds